Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Conversation Pit Remodel

Hey Everyone,

My husband and I are looking to update our 70's-riffic conversation pit. We want to knock out the seats and fill in the pit. Anyone have experience on this type of remodel? We could really use some insight into what we should expect.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-10T14:45:13+0000  by xxperksxx xxperksxx

Hey xxperksxx.

Based on your question, your remodel sounds more like a demolition. With this said, The Home Depot has all the tools you need to complete the project effectively.

I am not sure if the seats are made of wood, which could be taken down with a 8lb sledge hammer and a reciprocating saw, or if they are stone and mortar which could be taken out with a Hilti jack hammer from the tool rental department. Then there is the option of the skid steer or Bobcat, which can tear down any type seats and fill in the biggest pit.

Safety comes first though, so don't forget the safety glasses and and the leather gloves. Call your local store to make sure they have a tool rental.

31GP9dJVrUL._SL500_AA280_.jpghilti jackhammer.gif

skid steer.jpg

Posted 2011-02-10T16:02:16+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Thanks for the quick reply. The remodel part we're most interested in learning about is rebuilding the floor to be level with the rest of our living room. Would we need to install floor joists for that area? And then put a new subfloor over the joists?

Posted 2011-02-10T16:29:56+0000  by xxperksxx

Hey xxperksxx.

Don't I feel silly, I was born in the 70's and was not even certain what a conversation pit was, but now I know. As I know how to tear things down, I am not the most qualified to tell you how to remodel this huge undertaking, therefore I am working on getting this question into the right hands. The more details or pictures you can get us the more accurate we can be with our answer.

Thanks greengiant.

Posted 2011-02-10T17:19:19+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Greetings,

I will preface my comments by saying that we are not engineers or experts on local codes, and would recommend that you consult both to ensure that what you are doing is structurally sound and meets at least the minimum standards required by your municipality.

That being said, yes the proper course of action would be to "mirror" the existing joists in the room with the same centerlines, and installed at the same height so that once new subfloor is installed, it will match the height of the balance of the room.

If you cannot (or are not) removing the 1 x material that finishes the pit (the vertical board that frames it) you would drop down the height of the new subfloor to determine the height of the joists. The joists should run in the same direction as the original ones for continuity of spacing.

I hope that better addresses the question.

Posted 2011-02-10T17:48:39+0000  by HD116

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+