Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Conversion kit to install ceiling fan?

Do you need a conversion kit to install a ceiling fan with light into a spot that has a recessed light only in it?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-16T08:39:18+0000  by Peepeye Peepeye

Hi Peepeye, welcome to the community. If your recessed can light was a remodel type, it tells me you need to make sure there is a stud available to install an electrical box.

Remember safety first; always turn off the electrical power at the main electrical box.

There are several types of electrical boxes that will allow you to install a ceiling fan. Some are light weight and some are heavier. I prefer the heavier models.

The heavier electrical fan boxes have strong adjustable arms that come out the side of the box and attach to joist (studs).

There is also a side mount box you can install to a stud. Basically you install using the hole of the recessed light and attached to a stud (s).  It is easier to install either of these two types of boxes from the attic.  The fan box that has adjustable arms will hold up to 150 lbs and the side mount fan box will hold up to 70 lbs.

These are both available in store. If you have doubts about working with electricity, you should hire an electrical contractor. 

Here is a how to install Guide.

Posted 2013-05-16T17:36:16+0000  by Ken_HD_OC
The recessed light was installed when we built the house in 2002 so I would think it is attached to a stud. The fan we are probably buying is most likely Hampton Bay Dawson 54 in. Weathered Copper Ceiling Fan
Model # AC426-WCP. My husband was just thinking you needed some kind of conversion kit to install it where there was just that recessed light. I guess he thought there wouldn't be enough wires for the fan and light? My dad will be installing for us. He does know the safety precautions for working with electricity. Thanks for your help!
Posted 2013-05-16T17:47:12+0000  by Peepeye

Hi Peepeye, thanks for replying. Take a look at the step by step guide at the bottom of the post. It does talk about the wiring scheme.

Please come back to us if you have questions about any of your DIY projects

Posted 2013-05-16T19:46:30+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+