Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Corrugated Metal as Shower Lining

We saw this post http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Install-Replace/How-can-I-line-the-shower-with-corrugated-metal/td-p/70249 and were very interested in doing this in our shower walls. We just took out the FRP that was in place and converted our 2 handle shower to one handle. We have put up the hardi backer and are now ready to start with the corrugated metal...but we have a couple concerns. 

1. It says to line the perimeter with stone/tile....do you have some suggestions or pictures of how this might look? We see here http://cottagedreamers.blogspot.com/2010/02/we-started-our-shower-surround-project.html  that they have used flashing in the corners and a Z channel to direct water away. Is there another way to do this to ensure water tightness? 

2. These folks http://bungalowbungahigh.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/galvanized-shower-surround-a-complete-how-to/ used pole barn screws and some spray rust inhibitor to add another piece of the project we hadn;t thought of. But they used wood to frame the metal. Is there a more sleek way to do this. We tried pvc molding but it looks ugle and does not fit well. We wanted to go all the way to the top with the metal but we afraid of your warning above water getting in. We need a framing solution that will work...

3. It appears as if nothing is square in our house. Upon cutting the metal, it did not fit flush at one end. How can we deal with a non-square shower? Is there a way to square it up after the hardy backer is already up? 

4. We bought the galvanized roofing that had a rather flat panel with only occasional raised notches to allow for flush fixture holes. We thought this would be best. Can you offer any other tips on this project to help it go smoothly? 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-10T03:41:41+0000  by mrwhitsie mrwhitsie

Hi mrwhitsie,

So you found my corrugated-shower post  ha…:)

1. It says to line the perimeter with stone/tile....do you have some suggestions or pictures of how this might look? We see herehttp://cottagedreamers.blogspot.com/2010/02/we-started-our-shower-surround-project.html  that they have used flashing in the corners and a Z channel to direct water away. Is there another way to do this to ensure water tightness? 

1. Unfortunately I do not have an example of the perimeter stone/ tile border.

To waterproof the bottom perimeter of the shower, which is where you'll get the most water, my initial though was to use the tile around the perimeter and have corrugated sheets overlap the tile…

So for example, you can go with 12” tile and have sheets overlap the top 4” or 5” inches or whatever you would think it would look pleasing to you…

Aesthetically, you could also do the same design with the top perimeter of the shower and have two matching borders to avoid having to caulk and paint around  the sheets at the ceiling.

1. (a)  :) There is definitely a better installation method when it comes to corners – I would recommend using something called F-J trim …here’s one that I’ve found on our vendor site… you would want to contact the manufacturer of your siding/roofing and inquire about the matching F-J aka liner trim.

I don’t think the way he/they did it it’s going to work...:|

2. These folks http://bungalowbungahigh.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/galvanized-shower-surround-a-complete-how-to/ used pole barn screws and some spray rust inhibitor to add another piece of the project we hadn;t thought of. But they used wood to frame the metal. Is there a more sleek way to do this. We tried pvc molding but it looks ugle and does not fit well. We wanted to go all the way to the top with the metal but we afraid of your warning above water getting in. We need a framing solution that will work..

2.Well there’s number of things you can do...maybe frame it out like they did ,put a backer board over it and use some type of mosaic tile to wrap up the board ?…OR use a J-Channel  type of trim on the top and have a tile border but up against it. Here what I mean by J –Channel ;

3. It appears as if nothing is square in our house. Upon cutting the metal, it did not fit flush at one end. How can we deal with a non-square shower? Is there a way to square it up after the hardy backer is already up? 

3.F-J liner should allow about ¾ -1” of play at the corners….

4. We bought the galvanized roofing that had a rather flat panel with only occasional raised notches to allow for flush fixture holes. We thought this would be best. Can you offer any other tips on this project to help it go smoothly? 

4.Personally I think barn type of corrugated roofing looks the best… around the fixtures you can u attach a flat piece of ¼ flat stock as a backing for the fixtures. Your local metal shop should be able to supply you with this.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

Posted 2013-03-11T17:14:32+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+