Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Corrugated Roofing

I want to install a corrugated metal roof on my existing patio. Are there any tips for nailing/screwing the panels on?  I know I need the closure strips to keep the panels in shape.  What kind of screws or nails should I use, and do they get fastened in the valleys or on the peaks of the corrugation?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-22T19:08:58+0000  by bill52morris bill52morris

Hey Bill,

Bill i just wanted to add something, from my previous experience,  to the great advice given above.

Depending on the panel profile and slope of the roof some manufactures require sealant (caulk) to be used in between each lap joint. See attached PDF;

fastening schedule.JPG

Purpose of the sealant is to prevent side driven rain and ice buildup in between lap joints.

Butyl Sealant.jpg

Also couple installation tips;

Use recommended butyl base sealant.

These sealants are made from high quality butyl rubber and stay permanently flexible.

Don’t over apply sealant.

Apply only a 1/4 bead on top of the panel rib, anything more than that will force sealant out of the lap on to the adjacent panel and you’ll have a mess on your hands.

And finally use chalk line for the fastener placement, Screws are esthetic feature with exposed panel installation.

George 

Posted 2011-09-26T15:00:38+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Hello bill52morris,

Foodieken is out of the office today so I thought I would help you out with your question.

The correct placement for the screws are in the valleys. I found a diagram on our vendor’s website so I thought I would add that since I believe a picture is worth a thousand words.

corrigated roofing screw placement.JPG

Depending on your location. If there is a lot of rain than some people have been known to put the screws just above the valley so that the water is not running directly over them. This technique takes a little bit of practice though. I would suggest staying with the manufactures recommended placement.

I would also agree with Foodirken that it's a must to use the screws with the neoprene washers.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2011-09-23T21:59:05+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Just to be clear.......when I am pre-drilling the holes through the closure strips into the corrugated roofing in the valleys, is the corrugated roofing panel upside down?  In other words, when the roofing is right-side up, and I'm ready to fasten it, am I screwing into the valley, or the peak of the corrugation.   Thanks.

Posted 2011-09-23T19:52:18+0000  by bill52morris

Hi bill52morris, Hi and welcome to the community. Great project you have going.

Your question for tips on screwing the corrugated roofing panels on an existing patio cover is something you definitely can do yourself.

First you need to pre-drill the holes on the corrugated roofing panels.

roof8.JPG

Start by placing one panel at a time on the rafters and cross brace. Place the closure strip on top of the corrugated metal and drill through the closure hole in the valley. This uses your closure strip like a template and ensures the panels and closure strips are aligned.

You can screw/nail the closure strip to the cross braces using exterior rated fasteners.

You will want to use screws that have a neoprene washer when attaching the panels.

Finally, attach the panels using the pre-drilled holes to the rafters. And make sure you overlap each panel at least one corrugation over the other.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Please post some pictures of your project.

Posted 2011-09-22T23:22:13+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+