Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Countertop

I am going to attempt to build a new countertop and tile it. Do I drop in the sink first and tile around it or what makes more sense to me would be to make the sink cut out, tile the top and then drop in the sink!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-19T02:48:39+0000  by Nola2010 Nola2010

Greetings Nola2010,

Building a tile countertop sounds like a great, amazing project, I applaud your creativity and vision.

As far as the sink component of your project it will be your decision on just which sink suits your fancy, both drop in and under mount will work, both will require work and the results will be dramatically different for everyday use.

Drop in sink will cover the raw cuts of the tile with minimal adjustment to the tile, but you will have the lip of the sink to contend with for daily clean up.

Using an under mount sink will allow you to just wipe your counters clean pushing everything directly into sink but, you will need to create a smooth edge around the sink with a bull nose tile or with smaller edge tile to create a seamless transition into the sink. This application definitely will require more time and skill, both installation will work, ultimately it your decision.

Check out these very informative videos on Tile Counter tops one, and two!

I am sure that you will read other responses form our, HD Community Team. We would love to see some before and after images of your project.

Good luck and happy tiling,

Maureen 

Posted 2018-04-19T14:40:30+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Hi Nola2010.

You will notice in the videos that the tile project was done and completed before the sink was installed.  This is how it is normally done, and is much easier than trying to tile up to an installed sink.

Chris.

Posted 2018-04-20T13:20:52+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+