Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Countertop in a rental unit

What kind of options do I have for sprucing up my countertops in a rental unit. I've heard that you can paint over the laminate, is this an option? I don't want to ruin the countertop but I want it to look nice while I'm here.Its in pretty good condition....a few knife marks, but basically a really ugly color. Thank for your help!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-19T22:29:08+0000  by KluelessKim KluelessKim

Hello KluelessKim,

My name is Christine, and I’ll be helping you today with your project. I’m a paint associate at The Home Depot here in Atlanta.

You brought up the option of painting. The only paint that we sell that is suitable for laminate countertops is this:

countertoppaint.jpg

This is going to be the easiest and quickest way for you to spruce up your countertop. Here’s the step by step process on how to paint your countertop:

1. Clean the area with a damp rag.
  2. After it’s clean and dry, lightly sand the area. I would suggest using a 120 grit sandpaper. Make sure the area is free from dust. You may want to run the damp cloth over the surface one more time. Wait for the countertop to dry completely before going on to the next step.
  3. Make sure to tape off the areas that you want to paint, and put down a drop cloth.
  4. It is recommended that you use a foam roller on the broad flat areas. For the hard to reach areas, use a high quality brush with split ends.
  5. After applying the first coat, the second coat should be applied within one hour of the first coat or after 24 hours.
  6.  Allow the second coat to dry for 3 days before using the countertop.

To extend the life of your countertop, make sure to clean it with a mild detergent or mild household cleaner. Don't use an abrasive pad, a soft sponge will work just fine. Also make sure to place any hot pan on a trivet, not directly on the countertop.

Before you invest in this project though, I would highly recommend that you check with your apartment complex on their rules of painting the countertop. I would hate for you to lose your deposit.

For more information about this product and your 16 color choices click here

Let me know if I can help further with this project, and future projects. 

Christine 

Posted 2010-11-20T16:15:40+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+