Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Cover oil based paint

We took the wallpaper off the living room wall.  Underneath we found chipped yellow paint and then white oil paint.  How can we cover this with latex paint and not have it chip?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-11T03:54:36+0000  by jbstoops jbstoops

JB,

If the oil paint  has a flat sheen, you can just go over it. However, if it has sheen on it, you would be best advised to use a high quality acrylic primer on it, such as Gripper by Glidden, or Behrs Undercoater No.75. Both of these will bond to the hard, slick oil paint. Of course, you can also prime with an oil primer such as Coverstain or Kilz. These are fast drying oil primers which can be coated with acrylic/latex paints when dry.

If you are doing patching, spot prime the patches. Then give a general prime coat to the entire walls.

If using a strong color, you will want to have the primer tinted toward your finish color. This will possibly save you a second finish coat merely to obtain coverage.

Posted 2012-08-11T16:44:43+0000  by ordjen

Hi JB:smileyhappy:

I would like to add that most of the time when you see chipping paint it's an indication of a greater problem. It can be from either a result of trapped moisture or poor adherence to the underlying substrate.  In your case - I believe it's from latex paint being applied directly over oil based paint.  If this is the case then you may continue to experience chipping paint from time to time.

6d694361-8067-4a88-a229-8be804fc2f0a_400.jpg

I recommend priming the whole wall with oil based primer like Cover Stain by Zinsser.  This will create a protective barrier and prevent moisture from passing through.  Also, it will seal that chipping you described.

Posted 2012-08-12T17:15:06+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Alas, one of the truism's by painting is that the adhesion of your paint is only as good as the adhesion of the paint or stain you are going over. :( You can only hope that your paint, be it oil or acrylic, does not agravate the poor adhesion of the existing finish.

If the poor adhesion looks to have been caused be water problems, I would lean toward the oil primers. I frequently did something similar  when I was dealing with paint which had started to peel from slick plaster due to  water intrusion. The water had broken the original bond to the plaster. After scrapping the loose paint and patching, I would then use non- water soluble primers and even go so far as to use oil paint.

I would agree with PaintPro in that it appears that the top coat did not stick to the underlying paint. With water involved, you probably would have had damage to the plaster itself with the plaster exposed, not just the paint.

Posted 2012-08-13T02:45:41+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+