Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Cover up Carpet - Rental Space

I wanted to cover up the carpet in my apartment. Since I am renting it, I don't want to harm the carpet underneath. I was doing research and thought maybe vinyl or laminate. I want to be able to install it easily and for it to have a nice wood look. Any thoughts?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-04T21:20:29+0000  by AnnaLouise AnnaLouise

Hello AnnaLouise and welcome to the Community.

Laminate or vinyl needs to be installed on a hard surface.  It is not a good idea to cover your carpet with these materials.  They will separate, shift or become damaged and can become dangerous trip hazard.  

I would suggest having a protective coating like Scotchgard rug and carpet protector applied.  Vacuum often and spot clean when necessary.

You can put carpet runners in high traffic areas to reduce wear and tear in these areas.

Replacing the carpet with a hard surface is another alternative.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte
Posted 2018-04-05T13:29:37+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Greetings AnnaLouise,

Char is so right about installing laminate flooring, you need to install it to a hard, smooth, level surface. 

I would like you to take a look at Bamboo Slat Rugs. I love the way they look, it gives the hardwood look, very durable and can be rolled up if you decide to move. Read the reviews and the sizes that the Bamboo slat-mats are available in; because you are renting this may be a great option? The rug has a non-skid back so it may work nicely over a low pile carpet. Check it out and let us know what you think!

I hope this helps, 
Maureen
Posted 2018-04-05T16:55:51+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+