Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Covering Old Mistakes

We recently bought a house (my first) and while it's a nice house, it really needed a paint job. The bright bubblegum pink bathroom, the neon green dining room, and the orange bedroom, while pretty, were not really my taste and didn't work for the flow of the house.

Either the previous owner painted this himself or hired someone. If it's the latter, I wish I could go retroactively and fire him. There are mistakes all over--the trim wasn't neatly covered, for example, so while I'm painting the bathroom, there is bright pink on the glossy white trim in spots. The tub, where the tile meets the wall, also has bright pink on the tile, just at the edge.

I can easily repaint the trim, but I'm trying to find a way to "cover" where I'm having to blend. Is it possible to use caulk where, for example, the tub tile meets the wall to cover this in a sharp, prettier, more effective way? 

And if anyone has any ideas about what I can do to cover where the trim meets the wall without driving myself certifiable, I'd really appreciate it, too. Can I caulk that, too? Or tape the wall and paint the trim, hoping for the best?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-30T17:57:51+0000  by mandolynn mandolynn

Congrats on the new home Mandolynn!

Almost every home owner finds a few things left by the previous owner that drive us "certifiable."

Some choose to look at it as a curse, but I prefer to accept it as a blessing ... an opportunity to make the home my own!

Without a doubt, paint is the least expensive way to make a large-scale visual impact in a short period of time.

By the way, your ideas about fixing these problems are right on!

Use a thin bead of caulk to close gaps, cover unsightly jagged paint edges, and prepare all your junctions for fresh paint.

Painters tape is a great tool to paint crisp, straight lines. Click the link for a video that demonstrates several options.

NOTE: Typically, new rooms are painted from the top down. But in your case, you might choose to slightly over paint the trim color onto the wall to cover the unsightly trim/wall junctions, allow the trim paint to dry overnight, and then tape the trim and paint the wall to re-create the straight line between the trim and the wall.

Posted 2012-10-30T18:25:52+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

You are going to have to sgrape off the paint on the tiles so that you can get a nice straight line,  Same with the trim,

Or you can remove the trim, and paint the walls  and sand the trim than paint the trim and reinstall.

Putting tape over the mistakes to try to correct will only give you more mistakes.

Posted 2012-11-10T22:32:11+0000  by tciociola

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+