Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Crab grass has taken over

Hello,
I live in Waxhaw in North Carolina. We have tall fescue in our lawn, however this summer weeds particularly crab grass has taken over. What do you suggest doing at this time of the year?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-08-25T23:53:04+0000  by Gthumb Gthumb

Hello Gthumb and welcome to the Community.

I had a similar problem with crab grass this year and I used  Weed-B-Gone for crab grass.  I did spray it a second time about a week after the 1st. application.  It did a great job killing the crab grass and did not harming the Grass.  

Once the crab grass was gone the surrounding grass filled in.  You can also help the grass by applying a Weed&Feed product.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2018-08-28T15:27:27+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Around here crabgrass is an annual, so I wouldn’t necessarily spend a lot of money killing something that is going to die in a couple of months naturally.  Unfortunately I know nothing about growing grass in North Carolina but your local county extension service probably does.  They can make some recommendations on what works best in your location.

The best defense against weeds, is a strong stand of grass.  Generally speaking for cool season grasses two mistakes people make are cutting it too short (<3”) and watering too frequently.  Taller grass shades the soil, making it more difficult for weed seeds to germinate and taller grass is more stress toleratant.  Water deeply but in frequently.  Watering lightly just encourages the roots to stay at the surface.

There’s also the nuclear option, where you kill everything and replant.  The good news is that this is a great time of the year to do that for cool season grasses.  The drawback is that it’s a fair amount of work to get the soil ready for new grass seed and it’s critical that the need seed be watered regularly. Unlike established lawns the new seed just needs to be kept moist, which might mean water two or more times per day.
Posted 2018-08-31T01:16:21+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+