Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Cracks in Paint

I am repainting over existing paint and noticed that there are several spots that there are hairline cracks int he existing paint. Believe that if I paint over them the cracks will reappear. What can I do to cover the cracks before repainting and be sure they will not reappear?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-12T18:00:30+0000  by crm crm

crm,

Cracks and "crawling" are usually the result of some foreign material on the surface being painted. A little oily residue or waxy cleaning/polish residue. Try sanding down to the original surface and remove enough material to assure that the foreign matter is removed. Also try primeing the area with an oil or shellac based primer before re-painting.

Cracking or alligatoring can also be caused be re-coating a paint before the first coat is fully dry or cured. The different layers are shrinking at different rates and pull apart.  This was really common in old fashioned oil paints.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2014-01-12T19:23:44+0000  by ordjen

Hello crm!

I've found cracks, particularly above interior doors, to be the result of slight shifts in the building foundation.

This is very common and you'll likely see them return several years after the repair; as the building continues to shift.

If this is similar to your cracks, try this:

1) Use a utility knife to open the seam and wipe away the dust;

2) Apply a thin layer of sheetrock mud down into the newly created gap;

3) Allow to dry two- to four-hours;

4) Smooth with a lightly dampened sponge;

5) Prime; and

6) Paint

I have seen these cracks return in as little as two-years or as long as six-years.

But regardless of the timeline, I have most often seen them return.

NOTE:

The trick to a longer-lasting repair appears to be opening the seam enough to get a thicker bead of sheetrock mud down into the seam.

A high-quality primer like Zinsser 123 will help preserve the smooth surface appearance.

Posted 2014-01-23T16:37:29+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+