Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows


I recently moved into a new apartment and found these around the windows. They have a string that pulls the main bar across and I assume the little pieces will pull with it. I don’t really know what types of blinds/curtains these are for but I assume they are for the long vinyl(?)  ones that are usually for a kitchen sliding glass door. I would like to hang up real cloth curtains with them instead. Does anyone know where I can find some options of this? Also one of the windows is missing the little tabs with holes in them. Anyone know where I can find replacements for them?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-01-06T16:24:45+0000  by Anthony1992 Anthony1992

Hey Anthony1992,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

These appear to be a old version of vertical slat blinds. Depending on which new replacement slats you purchase will determine what to use. I've seen some light sheer-type curtains that have clips and widths that can match your hangars on your vertical blind track. 

You can opt for various options, but you'll most likely encounter those 2 options I just mentioned. Just make sure to measure the furthest widths of each hangar once they are fully extended so you can get the right slat or curtain hanging width without having to adjust or alter it. 

Let us know if you have any further questions,


Posted 2018-01-08T16:01:24+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Related image

Greetings Anthony1992,

Joseph may be right about the vertical blind fixture, but I grew up with traverse rods here in Boston and the images are very reminiscent of the drapery rods that graced the windows in my childhood home.

Traverse rods have a sliding tab clip system with holes in them that drapery pins/hooks set into; the tabs run on a pulley cord system, which allow the opening and closing of the window treatments from a side pull cord fixture. This is an old school system, totally retro, and from your great pictures, it looks like the rods have endured years of use.

The curtains or drapes, some pinch pleat for the cold months, are hung on pins or hooks, also old school, retro. Home Depot offer the pins and hooks on-line and are available in some stores, we also have tiny clips that will work as well, they act like a clothes pin with a hook so you can use a flat edge piece of fabric and hook right onto the slide clips!

Each hole, on the rod, can accommodate a pin/hook, even the holes that are stationary on the rod bracket and on the slide mechanism will accommodate a pin, using all the hole will create a uniform look…it is a great system if you get the curtains up right. The rods are sturdy and will carry the weight of a heavy fabric drape to block light and maintain the ultimate comfort temperature level in the room; blocking sun’s rays and heat in the summer, and keeping down cold drafts in the winter, these were the norm when I was growing up with single pained glass windows.

I found a site while looking for images of traverse rods that may help you envision the whole concept. If you were looking to buy the traverse rod system “now a days” it would be very pricey, they don’t make them like they use to!

You have a treasured window treatment system, it may take a little bit of extra work tracking down the pins/hooks, you may want to stop into a vintage or antique shop, the hooks will cost pennies there, also look for some pinch pleat drapes, again retro... but what is old is new again!

Related image

I would love to hear from you again to find out if you took advantage of such a great, utilitarian curtain system. Please let us know if you have any further questions, I was the one to help my mother with the chore of seasonal curtain change, so I have a bit of experience with traverse rods!

All the best,


Posted 2018-01-09T16:39:07+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question