Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Cut butcherblock countertop

I want to cut down a 49" x 25 5/8" x 1 1/8" birch butcherblock countertop to 36" x 22" x 1 1/8".  Will my circular saw accomplish this?  What blade is recommended?  Any other hints? Thanks for the help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-29T18:48:10+0000  by phxdj phxdj

Hello phxdj, and welcome to the community!

Yes you can do it, just follow the step-by-step instructions below, and make sure you wear protective eyewear, and ear plugs. Aside from the saw you already have, you will also need a straight piece of metal to run your saw along

1. Measure the area that you want to cut on both sides of the board (note red lines in picture), then place your straight edge along that line.

• Clamp down the straight edge as shown in the picture.

• Make sure your saw blade extends just beyond the thickness of the wood you are cutting, then place the foot of the saw up against the straight edge. Before you squeeze the trigger, make sure there is nothing underneath that might interfere with the blade movement, such as the table you cutting on or maybe the power cord--you'd be surprised how many times I've seen someone cut something on their sawhorse, and cut through the sawhorse. Anyhoo, once you have made the first cut just repeat the process until you have the board to the size you want.
  • Once you're done, please post pictures as we would love to see your handiwork.

saw cut with straight edge.jpg

Just remember to follow proper safety procedures and you should be set!

Posted 2011-04-29T19:22:14+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+