Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Cutting into non-load bearing studs in ceiling.

I am installing can lighting and hit a stud in my ceiling, it is a 2x4 and is not load bearing. It is just a drop ceiling that has been drywalled...can I safely cut out a piece of the stud in the ceiling and create a box around it to fit in the can?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-02-06T20:24:12+0000  by TommyD TommyD

I'm guessing that this is a kitchen and you are using remodel cans? Also I am guessing the studs are 24" oc? Just going off how you have described it I can tell you what I would do but it is up to you. It might not be load bearing structure wise but it is bearing the load of the drywall, is it possible to move the can 3" away from the stud? If not I wouldnt make a box around it, would be strong enough IMO. I would add a stud from the drop ceiling to a joist above on both sides before I cut the stud. If it falls between joists above I would block between the joists and attach to it. Without any pictures I can't be 100 percent sure. Also if this is indeed a remodel can you would have to do all this through a 6" hole. Hope this gives you am idea.
Posted 2013-02-07T14:20:18+0000  by jwatkins82
Also be sure to read the cans air gap requirements. Non-ic and ic cans have different requirements.
Posted 2013-02-07T14:25:13+0000  by jwatkins82

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+