Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Cutting porcelain tile with a Husky tile saw and its chipping the glaze. Help?

I've tried everything. Replaced the blade, clean water, tightened blade, used soap and tape. Glaze is still chipping. Help
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-05T03:19:57+0000  by Briannalynn Briannalynn

Maybe the blade you are using isn't the right one for the job.  There are a lot of diamond blades on the market and like most things some are better than others.  The better ones also tend to be a lot more expensive unfortunately.
Posted 2018-07-09T15:21:00+0000  by Adam444

Hey Briannalynn,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

You did mention using water, so I'm going that you are indeed using a wet tile saw. 

The key is cutting any tile is patience, so you need to cut very, very slow as you push the tile towards the blade. Due to the makeup of the tile, you'll experience some chipping. 

Especially if this is a thin wall tile. With that being said, the secret to setting and installing tile is to have any cut tile not visibly seen once it is installed. 

In fact, professional tile installers generally hide the cut tiles underneath grout, cover plates, moulding, or other tiles at the edge so as to give it a cleaner appearance.

So if you can minimize the cuts and place them in areas where they will not be easily seen in areas I just mentioned, then small chipping and imperfections can very likely be hidden, leading you to a great looking tile installation.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2018-07-09T16:06:57+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+