Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace


How do I replace deck footings that are crumbling away because they weren't done properly?  I'm thinking the process is: jack up the deck near the post, dig out the footing, pour a new one to the height of the old one and lower the post back on to the new footing.  Does that make sense?  If so, how do I pour a new footing?  How deep?  Use a form?  Any thaoughts , advice would help.  Thanks, folks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-13T22:43:53+0000  by Handyman_Rich Handyman_Rich


Hi Handyman _Rich, this is Mike the Home Depot Answer Man. Welcome to the community. 


The first step is to call or visit your local building department to find out if a permit is required. And what specifications the city has set for your job.


Once you have the cities requirements in hand you will be able to begin.


The normal procedures are to jack up the deck and replace the pier. However you may not be able to place the new pier in the same exact location. The old footing may be too difficult to remove.


If that’s the case place the new pier as close to the old one as possible. Again check with the city to see what they require.


A few things to remember:

Be sure to place the new pier on undisturbed soil, in other words solid ground not fill.


Make sure there is proper drainage; you don’t want standing water to pool around your pier and rot it.


If you live in a cold climate, make sure your footing is below the frost line.


Prime and paint the new pier first to help prevent rot.


Use a cardboard form; it will make leveling the footing much easier.  You can buy them at your local Home Depot.

Finally, cement the new pier in place, cement will stabilize the pier and help keep ground water out of the hole.


I hope these ideas are helpful to you, good luck with your project.



Posted 2011-06-14T01:13:09+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question