Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

DIY Kitchen Cabinets

My kitchen is small and in need of complete rebuild.  Looking at the "in stock" cabinets of the Home Depot store, I'm wondering if it is as easy as it appears, to just plug and play these cabinets. 

Has anyone done this?  Maybe if the HD designer could work up a rendering showing me all I need, I could do it myself and save on labor?  I plan to contract the counter top as I want silestone or granite.

Any advice would be helpful.

Bill

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-11-03T10:31:15+0000  by wilsonbh wilsonbh

Hi, Bill this is Mike The Home Depot Answer Man.

The kitchen designer at your local Home Depot will be glad to assist you in designing your kitchen.

He or she can give you an exact plan for your layout, create a pick list of the cabinets you need,

and help you select them.

You can install them yourself, or have our Home Services program install them for you.

Once your cabinets are in, our kitchen designer can assist you choosing your counter tops.

I have included below, project guides for removing your old cabinets and installing the new ones.

Good luck with your project.

Mike,

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Removing_Old_Cabinets&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Ready_to_Install_Cabinets&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Installing_Wall_Cabinets&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Installing_Base_Cabinets&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Posted 2011-11-03T17:17:07+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Thanks for the response.  The cabinets have been removed so now I have a bare kitchen.  I guess my next step is to have a Home Depot representative come by and take detailed measurements? 

Bill

Posted 2011-11-04T10:41:22+0000  by wilsonbh

Hey there Bill,

You would be right = ) Since you've already got an idea on the cabinets that you'd like to work with, you're already a step ahead of the game actually. What you'll want to do next is schedule an appointment with one of our Kitchen Designers in-store.

Let them know what you're planning and what style cabinets you've envisioned for your area. When they get the measurements in, they can actually plot out your future kitchen in a 3D model and show you what it will look like before it's even installed!~

If at all possible, bring in rough measurements and pictures to your appointment so that you and your designer can be on the same page for how the area needs to look. They can also help advise you with placement and perhaps even add something you never knew you needed. = )

Since kitchens take some time to plan out, our designers work on appointments. You can call up your local store and schedule one over the phone, or use our online appointment scheduler. The online one will help track down your nearest store, but if you'd like to just call or stop in to make your appointment, you can find your nearest one with our store finder tool.

Hope this helps you get the ball rolling on the project!~ Let us know if you have any other questions and keep us in the loop on how the project goes too. = )

Posted 2011-11-04T13:39:08+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Didn't Home Depot have a sketch program at one time to give you an idea what will fit using the measurements?

Posted 2011-11-28T20:00:31+0000  by Rick80

Hello Rick80 and welcome to the community!

We have something called Virtual Kitchen, and once you select a room, and then a style, then you can download a player that will begin to design your ideal kitchen. You can experiment with a variety of countertops, kitchen decor options and cabinetry, just make sure you save your design settings to your account.

Posted 2011-12-01T15:56:53+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+