Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

DIY L Shaped Desk

I have two IKEA Linnmon desks that I'm trying to make into an L shaped desk, but want to build it so to have the front corner be free standing and reinforced so that I can move from one desk to another without having a supporting leg(s) be in my way. 

This is a similar design:
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2015/07/ikea-linnmon-mega-corner-desk.html

This is one of the Linnmon desk tops:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59932698/

Here are the dimensions of the two Linnmon desk tops:
Length: 47 1/4 "
Width: 23 5/8 "

Length: 78 3/4 "
Width: 23 5/8 "

Any other suggestions or recommendations besides using 5/4x6 Select pine boards like the example above? Is there a way to just connect the sides together? I'm trying to go as low profile as possible with weight support between 50-100 pounds. Thank you in advance for your help.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-08-10T16:58:38+0000  by JR363 JR363

Connecting the two tops is simple enough, just use a 1x6 board to span the intersection and screw it in place.  If you want to get fancier, you could use biscuits, Dominos, pocket screws, or loose tenons (which are what biscuits and Dominos essentially are. 

As for supporting the top, use a 2x4 as cleat along the wall.  You could also use a piece of 1 1/2" angle iron.  In any case, make sure you're screwing into studs in the wall.

As for supporting the front edge, that's where things get tricky.  You're going to need some kind of bracket to support the tops, probably in several locations.   A shelf bracket would work, but most have some kind of diagonal brace that might interfere  with your movement.  That can be overcome by using heavier steel, like that used to support stone counter tops.  Unfortunately those can be a little expensive.

The bracket on the right is made of 3/8" thick steel and costs upwards of $45 but would certainly do the job.
Posted 2017-08-11T01:28:32+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+