Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Indoor Decor

DIY Robot Lamp

User-added image

I saw this project on another site and wondered if I could do this myself- it was a bit hard- but fun!

You will need galvanized pipe [which I used] or try to make it in PVC pipe, some spray paint, a corded switch and a socket where the wires of the switch can be attached to.

Tools and Materials:

Candelabra snap in base socket

Vintage light bulb 40 watt or lower or a 25 watt stained glass light

Galvanized pipe fittings - [ I used ½ inch ]:

2 T - fittings

2 - 90 degree elbows

2 - 3 inch galvanized pipes

2 - Iron FPT cross

4 - 90 degree street elbows

2 – galvanized plugs

3 – ½ inch nipples

Weatherproof Socket

Light cord with switch

Stained Glass Light Bulb

Spray Paint – your choice of color.  Use the Rust-Oleum Glitter spray paint for added impact.

Loctite Epoxy Putty

Step #1

After you have purchased all your supplies, set all the pieces up the way you want them to be.  ***Use the 2nd 4 way connector on one of the legs so that you can have the electrical cord come out the back of the Robot Lamp.***

Step #2

Once you have your parts set up, it is time to paint.  Do not rush it.  You may need a few coats to get the right look.

Step #3

The candelabra cord may need to be cut so that the wires in the rubber socket and the cord can be attached.  Feed the cut cord thru the back of the legs.  It is easier to thread the cord thru the unit if you do not assemble the legs of the Robot Lamp.

Step #4

Connect your wires.  I used two crimp connections to connect the wires, two on the top and two on the bottom.  You can solder and then tape the connections if you want.  I used about 8 inches of extra lamp cord so that I could extend the switch about a foot from the lamp.

Step #5

This is a good time to screw in the light bulb and check your connection. 

Step #6

Once your connection is confirmed, carefully assemble your Robot Lamp.  Take care not to twist the wires as you are assembling the unit.  On a crimped connection, the wires could pull out if too much force is applied. 

Step #7

Plug the lamp in to check your connections again.

Step #8

Use the Loctite Epoxy Putty to attach the outdoor rubber lamp socket to top of the Robot Lamp. Allow to cure of 60 minutes and then paint the socket and the putty.

You’re Done!!!  Enjoy your new Robot Lamp!! If you choose to, a small shade can be attached to the bulb.  I did not use a shade with the Stained Glass Bulb but you can.

Be sure to send us pictures of your Robot Lamp project.  Let us know if you have any questions.

by Gail Nobel & Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-26T22:24:57+0000  by Rick_HD_OC Rick_HD_OC

This is awesome Gail and Rick.

For a very long time, I have been wanting to build some pipe lamps like this. My house is lacking a woman's touch and in serious need of something. I Google Imaged "pipe lamp" and before I knew it I had hundreds of amazing possibilities.

It was so simple to figure out which parts I needed, simply by looking at them. I made a list of what I needed and took a screen shot of my lamp that I wanted to recreate. Here they are. After the first one, I learned a lot and discovered how you can deviate from the original plan. They are not  inexpensive to build and I used the black pipe from the plumbing dept.

Anyways here is my 2 lamps that I have built.
The first one is complete and the second one is almost complete.

Posted 2015-07-16T21:07:28+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
Awesome!
Posted 2015-07-20T06:30:34+0000  by kbala

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+