Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

DRIED GROUT ON SLATE TILE, NOT JUST HAZE, LOTS OF GROUT, HELP

How can I set this off a slate back splash, had emergency and it dried before I could take care of it, PLEASE HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-03T01:41:47+0000  by cynthiamatherne cynthiamatherne

I purchased Aqua Mix phosphoric acid cleaner for the grout that is all over my new tile installation.  I did a test on a small area at the recommended 5/1 mix - no difference.   How high can I go on this mix without harming my tile, which is a rough surface glazed ceramic.  Is there a better product?

Posted 2013-08-15T13:34:41+0000  by ekt

I had the same problem with a new walk-in shower install. I had to leave and was delayed returning. The tile was glass mosaic (1 X 3 inch) and large slate. The next day the grout had set. I tried the 2 chemical compounds and lots of scrapping. It was taking 5 minutes per small tile, meaning there was no way.

I bought a 2 inch  circular, cupped brass wire brush designed for a power drill. I tested it on a small area to make sure it did not scratch the glass or slate. Viola! It worked perfectly. Saved hours and hours of scrapping. Recued my expensive tile.

Mike

Posted 2013-04-20T14:33:51+0000  by mjtansey

appalachican00,

Fantastic!~ I'm very glad to hear that it's worked out well for you = ) 

If any other questions or concerns arise about this or other projects you have around the house, just stop back in and let us know. Hope to hear back from you again soon~

Posted 2013-03-28T13:32:16+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Jay,

Thanks for the advice. I tried the product, followed the instructions and it worked great. No damage to the glass tiles or grout lines. Nothing left to do now but apply the elbow grease to get it all done. It's a big job but will be made easier with this product.

Thanks again,

Jim

Posted 2013-03-23T12:17:22+0000  by appalachican00

Hey there appalachican00,

Thanks for joining our community!~

The TileLab Grout Haze Remover is a mild acidic formula, but nothing strong enough that I can see it giving you problems with your glass tile, especially since you've already used a diluted acid formula already with the vinegar. Do note that you will want to keep it away from metals as it will definitely affect them. I'd suggest placing a bit in a test patch in a corner if you'd like to feel safer about it and ensure that it meets your satisfaction as far as not discoloring or etching the glass.

Posted 2013-03-22T13:57:07+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Will the grout and haze remover adversely affect glass tiles ? We installed a backsplash of mosiac tile, glass and slate Jeffrey Court Vista Slate Brick . We followed the directions to the letter/minute but unfortunately I found out after the fact the non sanded polyblend grout dries faster than regular sanded grout. The backsplash overall came out amazing and we're really happy with it if we can just get an easy fix to removing the dried grout off the slate without damaging the glass tiles. We've tried dampening with water, vinegar solution and even a small wire brush inserted into a drill. Works well but takes a significant amount of matieral off of the tile and very labor intensive. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jim

Posted 2013-03-22T01:38:45+0000  by appalachican00

It's no problem at all, I'm just sorry to hear about your frustrations with your backsplash :-(

Well even with the de-glossing of your travertine tiles, you still have a chance to salvage what you have, unless the chemicals have severely discolored the tiles. The grout that is in the lines can always be removed or changed by way of using products like Grout Renew.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-11-Snow-White-8-fl-oz-Grout-Renew-GCL11HPT/100133209

I would still recommend using an oscillating tool used for not just grout removal between the tiles, but also for the excessive grout that still won't come off. 

This option would be the last resort for successfully taking off the excessive dried grout. I did a video a few years back showing this step in a video entitled Grout Repair.

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Install-Replace/Grout-Repair/m-p/358

If anything, this tool can possibly save your tiles, as you've already come this far into the project. However, if the tiles are in very bad shape and need to replaced, the easier option would be to simply tile over what you have now. 

I'm a big fan of history not repeating itself, and hopefully this has taught you to wipe off all excessive grout as soon as it is placed on the tiles. I realize there can be low light working underneath cabinets and in corners, but placing a light there really assists in the step. 

The other option for this project would be to remove the tiles, but taking off tiles that are bonded directly to the drywall (which hopefully wasn't as it gypsum in the drywall isn't suitable for a base for tile) can be avoided by simply tiling over the existing tiles. 

At this stage, only you can decide where to go from here with keeping what you have by using a power tool, such as a oscillating tool, or simply install over what is there now.

Let me know the option you choose, and we can go more in-depth to get you the tile backsplash you wanted all along. 

Hope to hear from you again,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2013-01-12T17:08:13+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

aboveaveragejoe,

Thank you for your help. 

I have scrubbed the tile with the acid powder you described in your post. I used the entire 1lb container and scrubbed with a nylon brush. Nothing.

I also made a vinegar and water mix and srubbed with a steel wool pad. Nothing.

The tile is travertine tile, and the difficult part is the tile squares are very small. About half inch tiles. I also bought a grout cutter to try and scrape of the grout, which it does in addition to scratching the tiles, but the process will take a long time since each tile is so small. Theres probably a thousand little tiles.

In addition to all these problems the grout has turned white from all the chemicals and scrubbing (was orginally brown) and the tiles have no more shine to them. They are dull. 

What is the process to remove the tiles? Can that be done without damaging the drywall?

I have to realize im no Bob VIla and I need to just have a pro do this kind of stuff! LOL

Posted 2013-01-08T03:10:06+0000  by zjoiner

Hey zjoiner,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

Depending on how much haze and dried grout will determine how you can go from here. 

If you've taken these steps as you've said, I would then skip the information I authored on this thread above.

It also depends on what kind of tile you have before continuing the grout removal. Some tiles, like glass, can permanently scratch the surface if you use materials not made to be used on it.

For example, you can use steel wool for most natural tiles, but not for glass. 

At the minimum, I would carefully use a wide utility blade scraper to try and remove as much large grout as possible.

I realize this is a vertical surface, but did you use the powdered sulfamic acid shown above in this post multiple times? 

After scraping off most of the dried grout, I would recommend using a strong mixture of water and crystalized sulfamic acid (shown above in this post). Since it is a vertical surface, you'll have to really work the mixture in quickly and in a small area so to allow the grout to be broken up effectively.

If you have done this already, then disregard. The next step would be to get a oscillating rotary tool with an extremely high grit sandpaper or buffer so it can take off the grout carefully. I would only use very fine steel wool on natural stone tile, such as limestone or slate.

Of course, this depends on what kind of tile and how much grout is on there. Please update us on your tile and your progression and let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2013-01-07T19:53:03+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I have the same problem. The grout dried on my backsplash tiles. I have tried the acid and even vinegar and water. None of it worked really at all. I scrubbed the tiles with the acid mix with a stiff nylon bristle brush. Nothing. Very frustrating. Im about to just hire a pro to fix it. is there anything else?

Posted 2013-01-06T22:45:02+0000  by zjoiner
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+