Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Damaged outdoor decking

I live in an apartment which has an outdoor deck that is about 8x4.  The deck is over an underground private garage and leaks down into the garage.  The deck slopes towards the buidling, not away.  The landlord is not going to do anything about it, so it is up to me.  I know it is supposed to slope 1/4 inch per foot, but that's all I know.  Beyond the deck is a walkway with adequate drainage.  I just need to get the water to run off rather than pool where it finds a way into my garage. 


What can I float over the surface to change the slope and where can I get information on how to do it?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-26T18:39:47+0000  by brwegman brwegman

Hello brwegman and thank you for joining The Community.  We are glad that you are here. 


A quick and inexpensive solution may be to install an under deck ceiling system to channel the water from the deck surface out to a boundary gutter (removing the collected water from the deck and away from your garage entrance).


Under Deck Pics.jpg


The Building Materials Department of your local store will have the necessary water collection panels and under deck brackets (that attach to the deck joists) as well as the gutter system to divert the water.  The Store Associates can help you with your Materials List and answer questions about the installation; photos of the underside of your deck will be a great help. 


Be sure to check with your landlord about installing this under deck solution as well as to discuss any building codes that may be required before starting this project. 


Best wishes on your project.



DW Logo Decorator.png

Posted 2012-12-27T16:37:51+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Thanks, but there is no under deck.  This deck is at ground level.  The garage is beneath it and the water intrusion leaks into the garage.  The area of the leak is not the garage entrance, it is at the other end of the garage.  A false ceiling won't work.  I need to stop the water from getting to the garage and I know there are materials to float on the surface of the deck to correct the slope which slopes towards the apartment instead of away.



Posted 2012-12-27T17:03:01+0000  by brwegman
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question