Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Damaged table with nail polish remover and paper towel - have seen conflicting advice for repair

Hi! 
I bought a new table (rubberwood/mixed wood with lacquered finish, according to the seller's website) and made the mistake of sitting at said table to do my daughter's nails.  I had a paper towel down to catch any polish drips, but accidentally set a remover-soaked cotton swab on the paper towel in a few spots, so the acetone remover soaked through the paper towel, causing it to stick to the table.  In a panic, I tried removing it with Goo Gone and also applied a furniture polish.  The damage is faint, but I can see it, and it's driving me nuts.  It almost looks like tiny bits of the paper towel are still stuck to the table (though it could be just the pattern from the paper towel) and the finish is messed up. 
I read some online advice about repairing it by adding MORE remover and removing everything with a clean cloth, then repairing only the finish.  And I also read elsewhere here about just sanding it and then repairing the clear coat.  
Is sanding my best bet, as long as it's definitely all real wood?  And how do I match the correct sheen when reapplying the clear coat?  
Thanks for any advice you can give.  
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-09T03:15:19+0000  by KDP123 KDP123

I wouldn't try more remover, it's too difficult to control how much finish you will remove.  You could try sanding with a very fine paper.  I'd probably try 1,000 or even 1,500 grit wet/dry paper.  I'm not sure that Home Depot sells anything that fine but an auto parts store will.  Use it with a few drops of water, just enough to keep the area wet.  Rub gently until you get a bit of whitish slurry, then wipe off the slurry.  Let it dry and see how it looks.

If necessary there are spray lacquers available.  Deft® is one brand but make sure you buy an actual lacquer finish (not acrylic or anything else).  The nice thing about a lacquer is that the new coat dissolves the old coat so there's no need to do any prep other than to make sure the piece is clean and free of dust.   I would practice a bit on the bottom of your table.  The stuff also stinks, so use it in a well ventilated area.
Posted 2017-02-09T13:01:36+0000  by Adam444
Thanks, Adam!  I'll head out this afternoon to find the right sandpaper.  

Posted 2017-02-11T13:11:30+0000  by KDP123

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+