Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

DeWalt 18 Volt Batteries

For owners of DeWalt 18 Volt cordless tools: 

If like me you own any DeWalt 18 Volt cordless tools, you are likely frustrated by the relatively low shelf life of their 18 Volt NiCad batteries 

I recommend you go on line with HD and try an DeWalt 18 Volt Lithium Battery. Their Li batteries fit the 18 Volt tools but you will need a newer chargernthta charges the old 18 Volt NiCad battery as well as their 18 Volt Li battery.

You will discover the 18 Volt Li has many of the same performance characteristics as the new 20 Bolt Li powered tools with one exception. Many of their new 20 volt tools are brushless so they are more duranle over the long run but... You can get more life out of your old 18 Vold NiCad powered tools by purchasing DeWalt's 18 Volt Li batteries from now on. Yes, DeWalt actually produces some 18 Volt Li tools.

My point is you can avoid the hair pulling frustration associated with the relatively short shelf life of the popular 18 Volt NiCad cordless tools by up grading your battery choice to DeWalt's 18 Volt Li battery.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Home Depot or Dewalt and have no stock with either other than the thousands I've spent on DeWalt 18 Volt Cordless tools over the last 10 years plus years.

I hope all of you find this helpful.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-02-23T15:01:21+0000  by InspectorGadget InspectorGadget

Hi InspectorGaget, we're glad you joined the community and shared your knowledge. You’re absolutely right about DeWalt 18 volt cordless tools. 

The tools are great and like you stated the older models are outfitted with NiCad batteries.  You should check out the Lithium-Ion batteries for your 18 volt tools. You will get so much more run time and charges per battery than the NiCad batteries.

The lighter weight, longer run time, shorter charge time makes it worth the upgrade to 18 volt Lithium-Ion batteries, not to mention keeping your great 18 volt tools.DeWalt even offers an 18 volt lithium-ion battery and charger kit. 

The charger in this kit, can charger the old NiCad batteries and the newer 18 volt Lithium-Ion batteries. So this is a win win, keep enjoying your DeWalt 18 volt cordless power tools.

Posted 2015-02-23T17:49:50+0000  by Ken_HD_OC
Thanks InspectorGaget!

Your lesson with NiCad batteries is great instruction for all DIYers!

NiCad, though commonly used by most manufacturers for many years, has always been known as a "battery with memory."

What this means is when you recharge your battery without totally discharging it first, your battery will "remember" the amount of discharge you completed and will only recharge up to that point.

Here's The Lesson:
In other words, NiCad batteries loose a portion of their ability to recharge every time you recharge them without completely discharging them first.

Lithium batteries, more common today, do not have this same memory deficiency.

As a result, you're seeing many manufacturers create replacement batteries powered by Lithium.
Posted 2015-03-10T13:22:18+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+