Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Deck Painting

My husband and I are planning to repaint our deck railing in a different color next weekend. The current paint is in great shape, just needs to be cleaned. Do we need to strip the current paint before repainting? Also what kind of paint do you recommend? We also have some damage from carpenter bees in the deck floor. Is there a stain that will deter the bees? Do you recommend filling the holes from the bees with wood putty or just leaving as is? Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-04T14:07:56+0000  by Sara1013 Sara1013

Hi Sara1013,

Thanks for your timely question.

Almost everyone I've spoken to this spring has been visited by carpenter bees.

A small spritz of Spectracide Carpenter Bee Killer will stop them in their tracks.

Spritz the product directly into the holes, then wait about an hour before using wood filler to close the openings.

Clean your deck handrails with Behr All-In-One Deck Cleaner, rinse and allow to dry about six-hours.

Once dry, you're ready to begin painting your handrails.

You indicated the railing is in good shape, but prime any exposed wood ... if there is any.

Behr Marquee Exterior Semi-Gloss is my best recommendation for paint.

This product is self-priming, contains mildewcide, and Behr guarantees one coat coverage in Marquee colors.

Personally, I prefer to apply two coats ... creating a thicker, more durable coating.

You may spray, brush, or roll this product.

On my deck, I use the same color as the house trim.

This builds continuity ... creating the appearance that the deck is an extension of the house.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

NOTE:
If you want to prevent return visits from Carpenter Bees, you might choose to spray the edges where bees created holes after the paint cures several days.

Posted 2016-05-04T15:47:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
I really appreciate your help. We're also planning to stain the floor of the deck. Right now it's bare treated wood. Other than cleaning it do we need to apply anything such as a sealant before we stain? Does the underside of the floor need to be stained or treated in any way? We also have some algae. Is it necessary to use borate in addition to cleaning and staining the wood? Thanks.
Posted 2016-05-04T18:05:04+0000  by Sara1013
Hello again Sara1013,

I answered this question on your other inquiry, Staining a deck.

Hope this helps,

Pat InPaint

Posted 2016-05-04T19:34:45+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+