Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Deck codes and inspection process in Georgia

Hello,

I am planning on adding an additional deck onto my existing deck this spring.   I went to get the Cobb County Georgia permit office and got my permit today.  I was assuming that they'd give me a set of deck building codes that I would have to follow but they didn't.   When I asked where I could get a set of building codes that I could follow they didn't know.  I feel a bit stuck now because I don't want to start building only to find during the inspection that it's not up to code and I need to tear it down and start over.  Does any one have any suggestions on how I can get my hands on the deck building codes for my area?

Thank you very much.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-08T04:26:21+0000  by Oriole Oriole

Hello Oriole and welcome to The Community!  We are glad that you are here.  While we cannot address the issues that you encounter with local government authorities, I can help you with finding the codes. 

Building a Safe Deck is a great article from This Old House that references deck construction in Atlanta. 

Georgia State Minimum Standard Building Code (Georgia's Construction Codes) is a great place to start your research. 

In Cobb County (I used to live there!), the building division is part of the Community Development Agency.

Best wishes on building your deck!

dw1.png

Posted 2011-04-08T13:57:46+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+