Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Deck post repair

My deck sits just about three feet above the ground and the posts are cemented in.  Soil has covered the cement over the years and two of the posts have begun to rot, in fact there is a large hole in each, but the wood still seems strong and solid around them.  Rather than replacing them could I fill in the holes with epoxy or wood filler, then fill in more cement (the holes are deep enough) to cover over the filled holes? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-07-13T16:26:21+0000  by John457 John457

While it doesn't seem that way, concrete is actually porous and hold water so wrapping your deck post in concrete is kind of like wrapping it in a big sponge.  What there should be is concrete piers in the ground with the wooden post sitting on top of the pier with a steel "post base" separating the two.

Posted 2016-07-13T18:13:20+0000  by Adam444
Adam444, thanks for your responce.  I forgot about cement being porous.  Looks like there's no easy fix here.  I guess I will have to saw out the old posts, dig out as much of the wood I can and fill the hole with cement, then mount a new post on top as your picture shows.  Any other advice?
Posted 2016-07-14T14:23:43+0000  by John457
Hi John.  

You may want to consider using pressure treated 4 x 4 lumber for your posts.  Using a water proofing on the lumber as well will also be an advantage to you in increasing the longevity of the posts. 

I like Adams picture of  the posts placed onto of the concrete.  The galvanized bases should be anchored into the concrete pillar though.
You may have to drill some holes into the concrete pillar and use the lead anchors though.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC
Posted 2016-07-15T16:11:01+0000  by Rick_HD_OC
I plan to mount my deck post on a concrete pier.  I've seen in other comments a picture of what looks like a cardboard tube filled with cement and a galvanized base placed on top.  I assume that once the cement hardens the post can then be set, no drilling for bolts or anchors needed.  Is this a good practice?  I guess the only precaution would be to make sure the pier is level and lined up right with the future post.
Posted 2016-08-30T16:49:31+0000  by John457

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+