Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Deck stain matching help!

I recently replaced some rotted deck boards and just finished staining them with what I thought was the right color, leftover in my basement. I used Behr Premium Transparent Weather Proofing Wood Finish, color Cedar Naturaltone, but as you can see in the photo it's way too light. What should I use instead to get a matching look?

HD deck.jpg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-20T16:36:06+0000  by eblovejoy eblovejoy

Hello eblovejoy!

You might try a different product:

Have your Paint Associate mix a half-pint sample of Cedar Naturaltone in Semi-Transparent stain.

Apply two coats to a small test area ... waiting about four-hours between coats.

Semi-Transparent is denser and two coats should cover similar to your aged deck.

Follow up if you need additional assistance.

Posted 2013-08-20T17:09:15+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

eblovejoy,

I am not certain that you indeed did not use the same stain You are trying to match new, virgin wood to older, weathered stain. This is always a problem. Further, every board, even from the same tree has different characteristics. You have unavoidably mixed boards from different sources

The new wood has tight, even grain which will accept the old stain differently. You might experiment with sanding those boards with 80 grit sandpaper to really open up the grain so that they will go darker when stained. However, even if they do, they will still not look exactly the same.

You can further make them blend in by stripping the entire deck. Even if the finish is stripped with chemicals, a final vigorous sanding with 80 grit paper will open up the grain to more approximate the new wood. This will improve the chances of a uniform look, but alas, they will probably never be 100% uniform.

It is not impossible to blend stains to make the color more even, but  this would be difficult for a skill painter. Better is to strip, sand and restain the entire deck.

Sorry for the bad prognosis  :smileysad:

Posted 2013-08-20T17:19:01+0000  by ordjen

Hello Again, eblovejoy!

In my original response, I thought better of recommending a full deck re-stain ... and leaned in favor of your inquiry; just "fixing" the new boards.

However, since the recommendations in your thread have moved toward completly removing the old finish, I'm going to go ahead and add a "How To" thought about that process.

Behr All-In-One and Behr Stain and Finish Stripper are two products that allow you to remove some or all of an existing finish before re-staining.

They are relatively simple and safe when proper precaution is taken.

Both are applied to the entire deck with a stiff-bristle scrub brush; scrubbing in areas that need more attention.

Both products are labeled, "Do not use high pressure."

This means a hose-end sprayer is all you need when rinsing.

And both suggest, "Do not allow the product to dry on the surface. Rinse in about 10-minutes."

Behr All-In-One will remove about one-third of the existing finish; which means about one-third lighter color on the existing boards.

Behr Stain and Finish Stripper will remove almost 100 percent of the existing color; providing a blank pallette for your new color.

So, there you have it.

Two simple ways to remove existing color ... allowing you to more closely match the boards used for your repair.

FINALLY:

Even with this DIY knowledge, I would strongly recommend trying to match the existing color on your new boards using half-pint samples of Semi-Transparent Stain before proceeding to remove the surface from your entire deck.

If this treatment works, you'll gain several more years before you need to remove and re-stain the entire deck.

Posted 2013-08-20T19:05:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+