Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Decorative tile onlays

How to install a decorative tile onlay on top of an existing tile backsplash? What adhesive to use? Do the edges need to be sealed in any way?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-28T14:06:13+0000  by lmpetrz lmpetrz

Hey Impetrz,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

I'd say that the best thing to use for adhering tiles onto existing tiles is SimpleMat. I used it in the image below when I repaired and tiled my coffee table  earlier this year. 

It's just like the name says, its simple to use, and eliminates the need for messy adhesives. Click on the image for further information.

Installing the SimpleMat Tile Setting Mat

The SimpleMat works as a double-sided sheet that not only adheres the tiles firmly to the existing tiles, but it also acts as a moisture barrier when installed correctly.

It saves you a day of waiting, since glues and mastics take hours to dry. SimpleMat is ready for grouting once you are finished installing the tile over it!

After grouting the tiles, I'd highly recommend to seal the tiles/grout to ensure that the surface will be cleaned easier if water and/or food spillage hits it.

Simply spray on the sealer and wipe it off with a sponge after the grout has been cleaned off the tiles surface and everything is dry.

That's all there is to it! Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Joseph

Posted 2013-12-28T16:26:51+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+