Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Diner style benches

I want to build diner style benches for a breakfast nook,  but I cannot find ready made plans. Anyone have any idea where I can get some plans at?  Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-04T11:28:30+0000  by ryanjbest ryanjbest

Howdy RyanJBest,

Welcome to The Home Depot Community. Since this is the place to share information, I decided to draw up some plans for your Diner benches just for you.

First here is a parts list of things needed.

wood for panels    pine, birch, or oak wood for framing        staple gun/staples

upholstery nails             furniture/upholstory padding                eyebolts       

wood glue                       wood screws                                      naugahyde upholstery

long springs                    measuring tape                                   sandpaper

There are other items that you might need, however this list is just the basics to get you started.

redbnc.JPG The back support is 40"high the base is 16" high. These dimensions can be changed if you decide to.

DSCF1635.JPG

This hollow box will be the back support so make sure to measure, glue,staple and glue together first to be able to move on to the rest of the project. 40"High,42"wide, and 4"deep bottom to 2" deep on top.

bncst.JPG

Now it's time to move on to the bench seat. Remember to make all 6 bench supports at the same time for accuracy.

setmpt.JPG

The bench supports should be made of quality lumber for strength.

Benchfrm.JPGsprngs.JPG

When drilling the holes for the eyebolts, be sure to offset them to avoild splitting wood.

bnbx.JPG    

Time to build the base. Measure,cut,glue,screw together, and sand. The bottom toe-kick should have cove base moulding glued to the wood.

ChairLeg.jpgUnails.jpgsprg.jpgeyeblt.jpg

Now cover back support and base with the naugahyde covering, staple it to the underside and screw the back and base together. Use the bronze upholstery nails to highlight the seams.

dinerb.JPG

I know with a little paitience you will have created a family heirloom.

Yours Respectfully,

Posted 2011-08-04T23:23:32+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Hi thanks a lot :smileyvery-happy:

Just the plans i've been looking for

with regards jim

Posted 2011-08-27T09:17:09+0000  by temberg

Howdy Temberg,

I'm glad the plans for the benches helped. I still do woodworking on some of my weekend projects.

Just a few weeks ago I went to a restaurant and took the benches off (with permission) to see how they were constructed. I'ts amazing how strong and simple these benches are. 

If you have anymore questions just ask, or if you see any questions you can answer, feel free to jump in.

Wisdom is something you have to give away to keep.

Yours Respectfully,

Posted 2011-08-29T18:36:16+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+