Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Disabled person needs ideas on how to get groceries up steps

Hi, readers and associates.

A reader of the Apron blog has a difficult problem and is asking for ideas. This is a tough one, and we don't have much information, but there are a lot of really clever people who read the Forums, and  maybe we can help.

Here's the message we got from Perian:

I need help, ideas for some sort of lift. I am disabled & need help getting groceries, etc. up the steps to my home. In the past, I have used my dog leash, with a bungee cord attached to it, then, once up stairs, I would pull up the grocery bags I had on the Bungee hook! It has worked, for some time, but now I am having issue’s with my arms & hands. Any idea’s would be greatly appreciated! I am on limited income…Thank-you, Perian

Pulling the groceries up the steps with a bungee cord is a pretty resourceful idea, actually. But it sounds like it's not working any more. 

I've urged Perian to come over to this post to give us a few more details about her situation. But maybe you all have some general ideas for her.

It sounds like she can walk well enough to get up a few steps and maybe walk a distance to a grocery store. I'm guessing that if she were in a wheelchair, she could just carry the groceries with her on the chair. (Right?) And we know that she has trouble with her arms and hands. 

Any thoughts or ideas you have might help. I'll be sure to get your ideas to her. 

Thanks!

-Craig, from the Apron blog 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-26T19:50:25+0000  by HomeDepotCraig HomeDepotCraig

What about just 2 pulleys about a foot apart up at the top of the stairs. Two strong baskets/milk crates tied at each end of the rope. One baskets always at the top. Put groceries in bottom basket. Go up stairs. put bricks or other heavy items, (heck, put out the trash in one) until the groceries come up to you.

Posted 2012-10-26T21:00:37+0000  by Barginshopper

Craig another option would be to utilize the existing railing(s) and attach a basket - pulley system to the side of it.

A set of roller tracks, turned upside down, would work just fine.

Rollers would have to be attached to the bottom of the basket and basket would have to be attached to the rope and pulley system.

Obviously pulling a rope standing on top of the stairs would bring a basket up with it...

Once pulled up, Perian could use a hook attached to the side of the basket to stop the basket from going down.

sm.jpg

sm1.jpg

sm4.jpg

:smileyvery-happy:

George

Posted 2012-10-29T20:43:19+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Thank you, Barginhunter (and welcome to the Forums!). Your idea is simple, but effective. That's elegant engineering. 

And George, thanks for taking the time to draw out some sketches for your very clever idea. 

I'm going to summarize your ideas over on the Apron blog where Perian contacted us. (It just happens to be a blog post with an inspiration board our decor maven Caroline Inge created of His and Her Reading Nooks.)

I'm also going to urge Perian again to come over to the Forums and give us a little more information about her condition and the number of steps she's dealing with, etc.

If anyone has any other ideas or thoughts about this, please speak up! 

-Craig, from the Apron blog

Posted 2012-10-30T15:38:17+0000  by HomeDepotCraig

For less than $125 you can purchase a small electric winch that will handle over 400 lbs. This can be attached to a simple 4x4 or 6x6 post and arm. Build a simple housing similar to a bird house to protect the winch from the elements. Using a Husky or Workforce HangAll carabiner on the end of the winch's hook will allow you to easily attach multiple plastic grocery bags. After hooking the bags, climb the stairs and flip the winch's power switch.

Total project cost should be less than $200. You'd need a 4x4 or 6x6 post, some 2x4 or 2x6, lags, carabiner, bag or two of concrete to anchor the post and the winch.

Click on the above links for details

Posted 2012-11-05T16:02:25+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+