Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

Disguising a gas water heater in an apartment kitchen

I've just moved into a small apartment where the water heater is completely exposed in the kitchen. It's in a corner, about a foot from a cabinet that is next to the gas stove on one of the two open sides. I would like to find a way to hide it that doesn't create a fire hazard with it or the stove, and from my research so far, it's a lot more challenging with a gas water heater than an electric one because of the pilot light. I can't paint it or anything like that because it's against my landlord's rules.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-18T15:52:40+0000  by TonyaF TonyaF

Hey TonyaF.

When I finished in my basement, I built a closet for my water heater which I had to move. I put a louver door on this closet, as I have seen with other water heater closets. I am sure that you can't build a closet but I was thinking that you could use some of those nice folding screens.

screen2.jpgscreen3.jpg

It will block the water heater but at the same time, allow plenty of air circulation for the pilot light.

Posted 2012-08-19T15:34:15+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Howdy TonyaF,

What a great and simple solution "Greengiant" had. I have a friend that had an all wood kitchen and the water heater was an eyesore to his Wife, so this is what He did.

1) Got some "Luan" veneer paneling. This is thin wood that can be shaped and stained.

2) Cut a couple of pieces of moulding that can be stained to match the cabinets as well.

3) Cut the Luan and wood to be larger than the hot water heater and used some pieces to attach to the top and bottom to hold a similar angle of the hot water heater.

4) Then finally attached hinges and a handle and mount to studs on wall. This looked very custom and turned an eyesore into a finished look that looked a bit like a pantry entrance.

HotWtr1.JPG

Happy Building,

Posted 2012-08-21T00:31:19+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Hi Tanya,

I'd disguise the water heater as The Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz ... it'll be a natural.

And, what a WOW! factor.

Where would we be without humor?

Seriously, Ingar's idea is both functional and easy to execute.

Please take time to come back and share your creative solution with The Community.

Pat InPaint

Posted 2015-11-13T00:08:59+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+