Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Do I have to prime before painting a beige filing cabinet?

A Community Member, cve564, recently asked the following question via private message:

Do I have to prime before painting a beige filing cabinet?

May reply:

Hello cve564!

Most factory finishes are dirt and stain resistant to make the item easy to clean and keep it looking good.

These repellant properties typically repel the next coat of paint as well.

So, it is always a good idea to prime before painting ... in this case you'd use a primer suitable for metal surfaces.

Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer is an outstanding example.

Primer acts like double-stick tape to adhere to the surface and provide a surface to which paint adheres easily.

Use any top coat (water-based paint or oil-based paint) after the primer dries for about an hour.

Satin, Semi-Gloss, or Gloss would be great sheen choices that will repel stains in the future.

Allow your paint to cure for about 48-hours before putting the filing cabinet into use.

This process will make a durable, long-lasting finish.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-15T18:32:35+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

More and more, DIYers and contractors are using Paint-and-Primer-in-One products.

These exceptional products will cling well to most surfaces; however there are still numerous applications where primer is still required.

For example, most factory finishes on doors or cabinets are oil-based, durable finishes designed to repel dirt and stains.

The finishes, like the finish on the filing cabinet, must be primed.

WHY?
Because, even though the Paint-and-Primer products will create a coating that will not "scratch" off, these factory finishes will not allow the next coating to cling well ... and the coating can come off in one large sheet.

In every instance where a factory finish is being covered, use a primer before applying paint to ensure the new coating adheres.
Posted 2014-06-26T17:10:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
If you like Do I Have To Prime Before Painting A Beige Filing Cabinet
you might also like:

Posted 2015-06-04T16:36:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+