Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Do I need to seal unfinished pine before painting with Kilz water based primer and pain?

I am going to use pine for framing the interior closet door openings. Can I just paint these unfinished pine boards with Kilz or do i have to seal the boards first?  It was suggested that oil based primer and paint be used; but, for ease of future painting I would like to go all water based. Any suggestions?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-08-01T19:58:23+0000  by Chignik Chignik

Hello Chignik!

On the label of your primer, you will want to see the words, "Blocks tannin bleed."

In layman terms, tannin is commonly referred to as the natural oils from wood.

Tannin is soluble which means it easily mixes with water (or other solvents).

When you use a water-based paint or primer (or one that is both paint and primer) your paint "wets" the tannin in wood.

In a short time, the mixture will bleed through your paint and show up on the surface as a mark ... typically a dark mark.

This is why you were referred to oil-based primer for your project.

Priming with oil is among the most common ways to seal tannin

WHAT'S NEW?

There are newer water-based products that advertise themselves as sealers.

WHAT'S TRADITIONAL

However, when I contact Product Technical Support at our manufacturers, their product experts almost always recommend sealing tannin with oil-based primer before painting ... even with their "new" products.

In an effort to prevent additional labor and cost on your project, I would recommend one coat of oil-based primer over your wood followed by water-based paint.

Posted 2013-08-01T21:14:30+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Those new water soluble tannen blocker primers  all require that you wait close to 24 hours before proceeding. Even then, they suggest a second coat of primer may be neccessary. Just use the quick dry oil based Kilz, CoverStain, or the shellac based BIN and be done with it! They rarely need any additional care before painting.

Water soluble is a nice feature, but both the pro and amateur want to get on with the project!

Posted 2013-08-01T21:33:27+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+