Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Dog Door Install in Storm Door

I'm doing some research before approaching and convincing my landlords to install a dog door. What is the best solution in terms of cost and time and DIY-ness?  :smileyhappy: 1. Install dog door in storm door I already have? and how to do that? (bottom half of door is metal) or 2. purchase a new storm door with dog door built in?  Thanks in advance for any ideas/comments

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-22T16:03:11+0000  by knaydee knaydee

Considering the design of the storm door - it might be a better idea to go with the door you already have and install an access door for your dog.  This way, if you ever move to another home you can take the door with you.

ddoor.jpg

To install the dog door on the metal storm door you will need to cut it out with a keyhole saw  or a single handle hack saw to avoid damage to the door.  The metal at the bottom of the door will be very flimsy if you cut in the middle - so try and place the dog door to the right of the door. Drill pilot holes at the top of the opening and start the saw blade there.  Saw downward first and the the top part.  Go slow and careful because that metal is thin and unstable. 

Buck Bros. 7-3/4 in. Keyhole Saw   Milwaukee 10 in. Compact Hacksaw

Posted 2013-06-24T18:27:07+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+