Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Dog Invasion

Help! I live in NJ in a townhouse community. We have open backyards with fences on the left and right.  We aren't allowed to close the rear with fencing.    A neighbor continuously walks dog onto my property to urinate etc. I'm seeking ways to naturally provide  a barrier and keep the yard from being invaded. The yard has no shade and is extremely hot in the summer so most plants don't survive the  heat. Are there any  perennials, bushes, trees  that can provide the barrier and deter the dog from entering the yard?  Is it  best to gravel or stone the rear entry area? Please help.., I'm on a tight  budget and anxious to solve this issue. 
Any suggestions you provide are appreciated. 
(The attached picture shows the area long the fence and behind the patio the dog invades.)
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-23T11:11:09+0000  by Julie12 Julie12

Hi Julie12,

We all have had to deal with the issue of animal dropping in our yards, one of our garden consultants suggested several solutions.

One is a product called Critter Ridder, this is a granular product which you spread on the lawn and it repels the animals.

Spread it on an area about three feet wide near the perimeter of the yard. You will have to reapply it on a regular basis, especially after a rain storm. Just follow the directions on the label.

Second idea is a electronic product called the Yard Guard Electronic Animal Repeller, it sends out a signal that can only be heard by animals, it causes them to leave the area to avoid the sound.

Finally, consider a small row of cactus plants, these could be in small containers lined up in a row along the perimeter of the yard. You will have to maintain them and take them in during cold winter, but I guarantee you, animals do not like cactus.

Mike

Posted 2015-03-23T21:30:32+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Hi Julie,

Great info from Mike, but I'm not so sure that many cactus plants will grow well in your area, but Chinese holly certainly will.

Hollys are available in many varieties and this one is commonly called Chinese Holly. They are particularly prickly and make excellent barrier plants where you want to stop invasion.

Chinese holly are evergreen and grow in full sun to part shade.

Plant a row across the back entrance to your yard and leave a gap in the center. The dogs and their owners will continue past your lawn without giving it a second thought.

-Travis
Posted 2015-03-24T12:30:59+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Greeting Julie12,

Sorry to hear that you are being pestered by an insensitive dog walker, if that dog owner would walk a different route than the dog would change its habits.

Mike had great suggestions! 

I have a couple to add to your options: Uncle Ian's Dog and Cat Repellent is a great natural product that you can spread around your perimeter, it needs to be applied consistently for a week to ten days and freshened up if it rains; you just need to break this dogs habit of making you yard its bathroom.

Holly bushes are not the friendliest shrub; the leaves have sharp, tough, pointed edges. A few hollies planted in size-able planters along your property line will not only deter the dog but will also define your space.

Blue Price, or Princess Holly plants like acidic soil, spent coffee grounds are a great natural acidifier and the bonus is: that dogs don’t like the smell of coffee grounds, so that will only help with your dog repelling effort. Most coffee shops will gladly give you used coffee grounds.

The planters will have to be watered during your hot summers but will withstand our cold eastern winters, a spray of anti-desiccant before the winter sets in with help the leaves survive a cold dry winter.

Best of luck Julie, let us know how you are dealing with your dog invasion.......Maureen

Posted 2015-03-24T12:47:40+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Hi Julie12.

Along with the great suggestions from Mike, Travis and Maureen, you might also want to consider using some dish soap on the area where the dog urinates.

To help disolve the excess amonia & nitreogen from the dog urine, us a hose end spayer to water the area with a dish soap mix, at  a rate of 1-2 table  spoons per gallon.  The dish soap will help to disolve the leathal mix.  It will not make he grass grow back but it will create an environment that will allow the grass to grow again.  You may have to re-seed.

Rick_HD_OC
Posted 2015-03-24T17:58:28+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+