Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Dogie urine smell...ugh!

We purchased a house that had pets.  We removed the carpet and still have the dog urine smell.  How can I get the smell out of the concrete?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-09T01:36:06+0000  by family1239 family1239

Hello family1239,

Thank you for joining us here on the community.

First ensure that all of the carpet (including the padding) has been removed. To begin removing the urine odor, use a diluted amount of white distilled vinegar with 1 gallon of water. Apply it using a sponge mop and in 3' x 3' areas so the slab can get a good clean.

Depending on the strength of the smell determines how much vinegar to use, so experiment and since vinegar is natural....using too much won't hurt the concrete slab. If the concrete floor isn't too smooth, you can also opt for a nylon bristle brush to get rid of the smell.

Use the vinegar solution, and if the urine smell is still permeating, then opt for the item below.

It's an odor eliminator, and disinfectant, which can really give your concrete a true clean surface.

It is sold at your local Home Depot store, and works very effectively in situations like this. Please click here to read more information.

OdoBan 1 Gal. Lavender Odor Eliminator and Disinfectant Multi-Purpose Cleaner Concentrate

Apply it in the exact same manner as the diluted vinegar solution. Try it out, and then you should see a big difference in the smell. In some areas where the dogs used a specific area, you'll most likely have to do repeated applications/scrubbings there.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-09T17:04:23+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Joseph, can you recommend a solution I can make to spray my floor where my doggie sometimes pees or poops?  Once it's cleaned using your suggestions above, I'd like to keep her from using that area (or two) to pee.  Odo-Ban works wonders on kitchen smells (like in the waste can), but it hasn't worked as a deterrent to my doggie.  Pet store products don't work either. 
Thank you. 
Posted 2016-01-13T20:31:34+0000  by BNatalie

I've heard a good bit about those "Pet Store Products" working effectively to repel dogs from doing their business in those areas. 

After you clean the floor, you'll really need to do some sort of sealing (if you haven't done so already) so that the slab won't penetrate the smell. Sealing is actually even more important than cleaning, since a good sealant blocks any liquids and odors from going into the surface. 

Cement-based slabs, while they are a hard surface, are like sponges when it comes to liquids coming through them...unless you seal it. So, make sure you use a form of concrete sealer after cleaning the surface.

Once you do that, the only other option I can offer to avoid your dog from using the bathroom there is using citrus or cayenne peppers in a spray mixed with water.

Since I don't know the behavior of your pet, or the frequency of how/why they go there, only you can determine the right mixture to use. You will put it in a spray bottle, so it can be spread evenly over that area.

Best of luck, and let us know if this has helped you.

Joseph

Posted 2016-01-16T13:39:51+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+