Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Dogs gave taken over the backyard

The rain and lack of grass makes for a muddy mess!  What can I do to have a pretty backyard AND dogs!!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-28T12:35:03+0000  by Harrishouse Harrishouse

Howdy Harrishouse,

This is a task that doesn’t happen overnight, but it can be done. Some of these ideas are less cost effective than others but save time. Let’s take a look at some of your options.

Sodding or Seeding

Short of sending the dogs to live elsewhere you may have to do this in stages. I’ve had customers tell me they used our barrier safety fence to keep half their yard off limits while the new sod grows or new seed grows. After half is done you fence off the bad side and finish the job.

Synthetic Lawn

Synthetic grass has come a long way in the last years and can be hard to distinguish from real grass. The upside is you don’t need to water, fertilize, or cut grass. However the drawback is the cost is much more than real grass, but you more than make up for it in time and effort.

If this seems like too big a job, you can contact Redbeacon.com to get a quote to get your project underway.

Happy Gardening,

Coach Dave

Posted 2015-03-31T00:51:49+0000  by Dave_HD_OC
Hi Harrishouse,

Lawns are tolerant of foot traffic, but enough repetitive trampling can tear down the most resilient grass. If you have enough sun, centipede grass is one of the toughest. Its spreading growth habit enables it to repair itself and it thrives in acidic soil. Centipede will grow where there is a minimum of 6 hours of direct sun per day.

Even centipede can be defeated though, so there are some places that will benefit from stepping stones and river pebbles. The areas around gates and the stair landing from the deck are especially high traffic. Add stepping stones and fill in around those stones with pea pebbles for a soft texture while maintaining a firm footing for you and the dogs.

Regular trips to the dog park will reduce the running along the fence and the dogs will not need to do as many laps to work off their energy.

Thanks for asking and welcome to The Community!

-Travis
Posted 2015-03-31T13:39:35+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+