Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Answered

Door Knob Repair

The adjustable deadbolt is stuck inside the whatever it's called.  Fortunately, I was able to get it off the door, but don't know how to fix it.  Any suggestions. 

Lynda

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-22T18:18:21+0000  by lyndasue lyndasue

Hello Lyndasue, and welcome to the community!

It sounds like you need a new lock. Depending on the age of your deadbolt, trying to replace just the latch might be difficult. I work in the Door & Window department at the Home Depot, and I had a customer with a similar issue this past weekend. They also had a deadbolt latch that would no longer engage or stick out. After looking at the lock & latch I suggested he purchase a completely new deadbolt will fit perfectly in his existing holes, I suspect your lock is doing the same.

If you can unscrew and remove the old deadbolt, put all of the parts & screws into a ziplock bag and bring it into the store and have one of the hardware persons take a look at it, while you are there you can find a similar lock to fit, and depending on your location, you might be able to have the lock re-keyed to match your old lock.

The video below shows how to install a deadbolt from start to finish, including drilling the holes, for your needs, the later half might be more pertinent to you.

Best Answer

Posted 2012-03-22T18:56:25+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+