Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Door Knob with No Face Plate

I am renting from a really old house, bulit in the 1960s. I need to buy a doorknob with a lock and key. Not the key that looks like a screwdriver. I want a real key. The current door had a lock and "key" that is the screwdriver type.


The problem is that there is no face plate on the current knob and all standard key entires at stores around me have them included. I am not allowed to drill holes into the door to install one of these. So what I need is someone to give me a few options/links of where to get what I am looking for.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-20T09:54:59+0000  by alarmingpancake alarmingpancake

Hi Alarmingpancake,


The lock on your door now is called a privacy lock. This is the type used on bathrooms and offers very little security.


You can purchase a regular keyed entry style lock for your door. The lock will fit the door with no additional drilling or holes required.


Change this ASAP as the lock you have now, offers virtually no security at all. The only things that lock will keep out

are stray cats and drunks.



Posted 2014-01-20T19:16:42+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

I have bought a regular key entry lock for my door, but when I went to install it, it required me to add a face plate and drill holes.

Posted 2014-01-21T01:20:05+0000  by alarmingpancake

Have you thought about talking to your landlord?  I'd suspect that landlord/tenant laws might include some provision for a reasonable level of security.

Posted 2014-01-21T02:07:29+0000  by Adam444

I'm just staying in a room for rent. My sister rents the place and she would never ask the landlord for anything. Hence our fence that is laying sideways.

Posted 2014-01-21T02:31:43+0000  by alarmingpancake
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question