Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Door wont latch any more

I have a heavy solid wood door that goes from the garage into the laundry room.  The door was taken off its hinges to allow delivery of a refrig.  Door was rehung the same day.  Now the door does not line up for either the dead bolt or the catch to work.  I have tightened all the screws on the hinges but nothing seems to help me re align the door.  HELP!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-22T18:12:36+0000  by timetraveler timetraveler

Hey Timetraveler,

I guess that just proves that nothing can ever be easy.  Sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having and I hope you like the new fridge. When you took the door off did you remove the hinge pins or unscrew the hinges? Since it is the door connecting your garage to your house I am assuming that it is a fire rated door with self closing hinges, correct?

Either way if the door is just a little bit off you wouldn’t want to over tighten all the hinges down. If the door is sagging and the deadbolt is a little below the strike plate then you should tighten just the top hinge on the jamb side. It might be necessary to use a longer wood screw than what was originally used. All the other hinges should just be tight and not pulling into the jamb. If the deadbolt is slightly above the strike plate then you would do the same with the bottom hinge. 

You also can shim the top or bottom hinges out to align the door, which might be better in your case. Mostly because you don't want the hinges to be too tight against the jamb, but you also don't want them to be too loose.

Step Three

"If necessary, you can raise the position of the latch bolt by inserting a thin cardboard shim behind the bottom hinge. To lower the latch bolt, shim behind the top hinge"

That's from a Home Depot project guide. take a look at it : CLICK HERE

Let me know how this works out. I hope this helps and good luck. -Gregg

Posted 2011-03-23T13:09:14+0000  by gotogregg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+