Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Drill Hammers can they be used to pound Nails?

Can a drill hammer be used to pound spikes into landscape timbers?

I plan to predrill the timbers but not as wide or deep as the spikes.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-28T21:44:11+0000  by JoeStPete JoeStPete

Hi there JoeStPete, that is a great question and one that doesn't get asked nearly enough. Such a thing as a ground rod, or pile driver attachment does exist for roto hammers and demolition hammers in a few sizes. Here is an example in standard SDS MAX chuck: 

As you can see this is designed more to drive a stake that would stand proud, this particular driver would leave your spikes standing 2" proud that would have to be hand pounded flush. The nice thing about this design is that the stake is captive inside the driver so you don't need to worry about slipping off of it. 

I have also seen these in 1-1/8" breaker bit size, but I havent run into any in SDS Plus (I don't think SDS Plus roto hammers have enough oomph to help much). 

I hope this helps Joe, roto hammers sure do make quick work of otherwise rough jobs.

-Blake 

Posted 2011-02-28T21:57:15+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Hey Joe!

They don't let me out of The Paint Pit often, but I just wanted to pop over and say Blake's advice is Right On!

I used Tool Rental's Drill Hammer to install a ground spike and after locating the utilities, took only a few seconds to drive the spike eight-feet into the ground. Couldn't imagine standing on a ladder and pounding it in with a sledge.

The rent was very cheap compared to the labor-cost I would have incurred.

Hope the addition to your landscape looks great!

Posted 2011-03-01T19:52:37+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+