Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Drill bit for metal HVAC Ducts

So I am nearly 100% completed with the remodel of my living room and need to put up the new vent covers in our living room. I made sure things were level, marked the holes and began drilling. I got about 1/2" in past the drywall and hit metal, which I am assuming to be part of the vent itself. I have two bit sets (one black oxide and the other titanium coated) and neither appears to be able to get through. I don't want to force it and break the bit off, so looking to see what might work best. I have never really drilled into metal, so need a little guidance if possible.

I want to be done with this project so I can enjoy the living room!

Below is a pic of the living room and in the top left-hand corner you can see the dredded non-covered vent haha.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-28T16:16:00+0000  by NFCTinken NFCTinken

NFCTinken,

This may seem blatantly obvious, but are you sure your drill is running in the forward clockwise direction? A reversed drill bit would still easily cut through drywall, but stop at the metal.

If this is not the case, have you tried reaching into the duct with a small block of wood to support the metal from flexing away from the drill? A small "dipple" first made with a small nail and hammer in the metal will keep the drill from wandering. You might need an extra set of hands to accomplish this.

There are also self-tapping pan head screws made for sheet metal work. The end of the screw has a drill like form.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-01-28T20:39:55+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+