Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Answered

Dryer vent in Glass Block window

How do I install a dryer vent in a pre-existing glass block window? I see I can buy a vent for a glass block window, but do I just knock 1 block out? Thanks

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-07T12:56:05+0000  by Memebuck Memebuck

Hey there Memebuck,

Welcome to our community!~

You're on the right track, but there is a bit of an easier way than just taking the good ol' hammer to the block. = )

There are two popular ways that they can be installed, with spacers and a silicone material or with traditional mortar joints. If you are working with the former, then you'll simply need to start by cutting the joints with a sharp razor or knife and removing as much as possible.

The latter option has you in a tougher situation, but not one you can't fix. The razor will be no match for the mortar, so swap it out for a drill with a masonry bit. Use this to drill small holes through the mortar and around the tile that you're trying to remove. I would say up to about 4-5 on the top and bottom and 2-3 on the smaller sides. This will help losen up the bond it has and make the next step easier.

Get some safety glasses on for this next step and bring out Mr. Chisel. With the holes you've made, you've now cut down the surface area that the chisel will be spreading too, making for a more solid impact when you hit it. Carefully start to chisel the mortar lines, being careful not to chip the glass as you go. Continue this all the way around and *voila* a glass block no more!

It will take a bit of time, but it's much nicer than the alternative of breaking it out! That takes more time and is a lot harder to do than you'd think.

Hope that helps you out!~ Feel free to post follow up if you need, and best of luck.

Best Answer

Posted 2011-07-07T15:07:11+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+