Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Drywall Installation

I just recently had water damage to my home and they had to remove some drywall. I am a beginner and need to find out what it will take to put drywall back up. I have taken measurements to the area that was damaged and removed so now there is part of walls that are missing. I am wondering what materials besides drywall I will need to fix this issue. I want to do it myself and will go purchase the drywall because I have measured the spots that need it and most of it will require a full sheet of drywall but after that I need help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-15T04:11:51+0000  by Lefty0305 Lefty0305

Hello Lefty0305,

It sounds like you have taken most of the damaged drywall down, so I will start with purchasing the new.

In the store, an Associate from Building Materials can assist you when choosing between our lightweight and the standard weight drywall. The most important choice you will make is matching the thickness of your existing drywall.

The other supplies you will need include "Left Handed" drywall screws, a sheetrock screw driver attached to your drill, a sheetrock knife, joint compound, a "mud" knife and tray, mud tape and corner bead (if the repair involves corners), and 150 "first coat" sanding screen as well as 220 "final coat" sanding screen (some prefer a sanding sponge instead). If your repair involves outlet or switch electrical boxes, you will need a keyhole saw to cut those holes.

If this repair is above the floor, you may want to check in with Tool Rental for a sheetrock lift. It will make easy work of positioning a full sheet while working alone. If the repair is near the floor, you may not need this tool.

Begin by positioning the sheet over the damaged area and use a pencil to mark the outside edge of the replacement sheetrock on the existing wall. If you are able, design the cuts so they overlap at the stud ... half of the stud covered by old wall and half of the stud covered by new sheetrock. This will give your repair strength.

Use your sheetrock knife to cut the damaged sheetrock along the pencil line, so the repair piece will fit almost exactly into the hole. Mark the location of the studs on the edge of the opening and position the repair piece in the hole. Use those "Left Handed" sheetrock screws to hold the repair piece to the studs and then "mud" the seams with joint compound.

At this point, you are going to apply the joint tape over the seam and apply another layer of joint compound over the tape. Use the "mud" knife to smooth the joint and allow the new seam to dry. Use the 150 screen to pull down the lumps in the seam, apply a second coat of mud if needed to create a smooth joint, allow to dry and use the 220 screen to finish the joint.

I mentioned a sanding sponge earlier. This tool is used like the sanding screen but is dampened in a bucket of fresh water. When rubbed across the new joint, the water-based joint compound re-wets on the surface and is smoothed by the sponge. This tool has a course side (like the 150 screen) and a smooth side (like the 220 screen). I personally like this tool and have had outstanding results making joints that do not show. Others will suggest the screens. Choose whichever gives you the most confidence and don't be afraid to switch if you have difficulty with one or the other.

Now, take a sample of your original color to the Paint Desk and have them match the color and sheen. Behr Ultra (paint and primer in one) will cover unfinished sheetrock in two coats. And that should return your damaged wall to new.

I hope this solution helps and be certain to ask the store Associate for any additional tips that they prefer.

Posted 2011-02-15T14:30:11+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+