Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Drywall Texturing after wallpaper removal

Do I need to scrub walls to remove wallpaper glue before appalling texture?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-16T05:59:01+0000  by pharris40 pharris40

Hello pharris40!

If the texture you intend to apply is water-based, you should seal the old adhesive with oil-based primer before applying the texture.

If the texture is oil-based, you may simply apply directly over the old adhesive.

Cleaning is not necessary since you're applying a texture, but the water-based adhesive will "re-wet" if water-based products are applied directly on top.

Once re-wet, the adhesive typically discolors the surface coating as it bleeds back through ... may take a few months to show, but most often unsealed adhesives will resurface.

Posted 2014-01-16T14:15:30+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Oh how many times over the years have I tried to cut corners, ostensibly to save time, and ended up doing more work to correct the effects of my short cuts! To avoid having to  wash the paste off, the alternative is to go in a room with extremely stinky oil primer and deal with its inherent mess and clean up.

The correct procedure is to remove that water soluble paste residue, which not only might  cause discoloration, but might also cause adhesion failure, especially if old fashioned wheat paste or clay paste was used to hang that wallcovering.

Even after removing the paste, I would routinely prime the walls before painting. Try as one might, some residue will be missed. Primer helps seal in that residue,  It also assures that the wall is well, and evenly sealed, and also allows one to tint the primer to assure color coverage in only one coat of the paint.

Texturing material itself is nothing more than a slurry of chaulk which can hold moisture for prolonged periods on the wall. Time to moisten the underlying paste, even if an oil based primer is put on top of it. Walls that have been textured commonly stay wet and 'mushy" for 2 or 3 hours due to the high moisture content held. Then the assumption is that water soluble latex/acrylic paints are going to be put on top it. The risk is that the paint crinkles up or forms cracks and that it might even in the worst case crack off the wall.

If the paste is not to be washed off, yes, prime over it with an oil primer, but as Ben Franklin said, " a stich in time saves nine"!

Posted 2014-01-16T16:09:41+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+