Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Drywall, drop ceiling

Should I drywall up to a drop ceiling or do I need to remove the drop ceiling?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-12-10T19:09:15+0000  by tannerlemon tannerlemon

Are you hanging drywall just on the walls?  If so, you're going to have a seam where the drywall meets the suspended ceiling wall angle.  That would need to be covered somehow.

Posted 2013-12-10T19:36:58+0000  by Adam444
Just on the walls. Could I just use molding to cover it?
Posted 2013-12-11T17:40:08+0000  by tannerlemon

Actually I trimmed a basement earlier this summer that had been damaged in a flood.  The drywall had to be ripped out but instead of pulling the drop ceiling, it was cut right at the ceiling and new drywall was installed to butt against the wall angle.  The homeowner chose this route to rehab the basement at the lowest possible cost.  She doesn't use the basement frequently and just wanted it to look "decent."

After the drywaller hung, taped, and sanded the drywall I used cove moulding (sometimes called "inside corner") to cover the gap.

"Decent" would be, in my opinion, a somewhat generous adjective.  OK might be more accurate.  But that's what she wanted.

Because the moulding is commonly available only in 8' lengths there are a lot of joints.  Cutting the angles around soffits was kind of tricky.  It would be a good idea to have a little extra material so you can make up some test pieces to make sure you get the angle right.

Posted 2013-12-12T16:43:25+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+