Sign In to join the community | Help
Project Ideas: Seasonal & Holiday

Easy DropCloth Christmas Pillow Covers

I love toss pillows! Pillows are great for adding accent colors to home décor and creating a true comfort zone for relaxing. Obsessed may be a better word for my addiction with toss pillows. I love to change pillows seasonally to add color to the décor inside, color that reflex what is happen outdoors. I learned a long time ago to make pillow covers rather than buy new pillows….who has the space to store pillows from season to season.

This year while I was packing up the outdoor furniture cushions, I thought it would be a good time to try to make a few outdoor “Christmassy” pillow covers for the bench on my front porch….from a weather resistant canvas drop cloth….so easy!!

Gather materials: Canvas dropcloth, acrylic craft paint, stencil brushes, stencils,  painters tape, toss pillows to be covered

Tools: Sewing machine, tape measure, scissors, common pins, iron and ironing board

Step1. Measure pillows to be covered, cut a strip of fabric that measure 2 and ¾ times the size of pillow and 3 inches wider on each side that is wider than pillow. Make sure to cut from bottom of the drop cloth edge. The finished edge will be exposed, when all is finished.

Step2. Fold the fabric, like an envelope, with right side together, and pin.

Step 3. Stitch the side edge of the pillow, with a 1 inch seam allowance.

Step4.  Flip the case inside out and press with a hot iron.

Step5. Now is the time to stencil a pattern, or create bands with paint tape that mimics a festive plaid pattern.  * I could not find precut stencils that I liked so I cut my own design using watercolor painting paper, holly, berries and a Christmas tree. Allow paint to dry.

Step6.  Stitch a ribbon tie onto the seat cushion if you covered a settee cushion.

Step7. Put cushion and pillows in place, sit down and enjoy the season!!!

When the holidays are over you can just fold up the pillow covers then pack them away with all the other Christmas decoration….compact, cute and cost efficient, and comfy!

Comfort and Joy to All!   Maureen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-12-07T19:07:38+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS Maureen_HD_BOS

Topic
Categories+