Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Easy to Build Garden Bench

Hello everyone. I'm doing a community project and it requires that I build 2-3 benches. They don't have to be elaborate, I just need a design for easy to build garden benches preferably with a back to them. If possible please inculde step-by-step instructions, not just a diagram, and pictures as well, that way I know what it should look like at each step. 

Thanks,

DSC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-12T17:53:26+0000  by DSC DSC

Hello Paul – this is a great bench!  I enjoyed reading the notes to get additional information about the legs, finishing, and adding supports for extra stability on her garden bench.  The SketchUp drawings are especially helpful.  

Best wishes.

DW6.PNG

Posted 2012-08-21T13:29:04+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Check out this bench from Ana White:

Click on the picture above to visit the ana-white.com site for the step-by-step instructions.

Posted 2012-08-20T21:05:02+0000  by Paul

Hello DSC and thank you for joining The Community!  We are glad that you are here.

Congratulations on the community project – this is a great way to help out others. 

Rumblestone pix.jpg

I have several easy to build benches for you.  The easiest are the five (5) Rumblestone benches from Pavestone and include complete materials lists with action photos (select Bench Number 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 from the How-To Guides).  You may have seen one of these at a display in front of your local Home Depot store.  These are flat - they do not have a back - and are quick to build.  Bond the stones with construction adhesive for a permanent installation.  Just be sure to have some STRONG helpers!

Daybed.jpg

A unique option for a bench with a back is to create a modified outdoor daybed.  You could plant vines (even ivy) to grow over the arbor for a picturesque look.  This project does require an intermediate skill level, use of power tools, and painting (which may need to be repainted at a later time).

Shecandoit22 diagram.jpg

Shecandoit22 from our Community has a post with diagrams for building a bench that her volunteers have used in numerous Team Depot projects.  She has designed this bench using 2 x 4's and it is screwed together with 3” deck screws.  Using only straight cuts, preparation is efficient and does not require numerous power tools.  Pre-cutting the wood makes installation quick and safe for the volunteers. 

There are a number of sites online that provide free plans for garden benches.  Here are several plans that include pictures and instructions that also might be suitable for a community project, including an English-style back bench, a weathered bench,  a planter bench, a comfort bench, a cedar garden bench, and a garden woodshop bench.

Please keep us posted on your progress and best wishes on your community project!

DW6.PNG

Posted 2012-08-17T15:14:54+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+