Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Answered

Eave Screen

Hello everyone... I need advice on what to do with the eaves of my home that have as their center an approximate 5" (w) screen (regular window screen) that goes around the entire perimeter of the house.  In the 15 years that we have lived here, the screen has never been replaced - it is very rusty and in many spots it has holes - needless to say its time to do something with it.  I'm assuming this was done for ventilation purposes when the house was built (circa 1940s), but I've never seen eaves on a home constructed like this.  So my main question would be should I replace the existing screen with new one or fill the spaces currently occupied by the screen with wood and install vents sporadically throughout the perimeter (as seen on most homes) -- I welcome any thoughts....

Thanks!

Stephen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-30T01:56:17+0000  by Stephen71327 Stephen71327

Hi Stephen:smileyhappy:

The dilemma is that the screen is 5 inches wide and is usually attached on the inside of the soffit.  Usually a simple under eave soffit strip is all that is needed. Just remove the old screen and attach the 8' vent strips right over the existing openings.  Make sure you overlap the ends and you are up to date.

soffit vent.jpg

Best Answer

Posted 2012-12-30T16:38:32+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

I really appreciate the prompt reply... sounds like a perfect solution!  Do you have an item # for the soffit?  When I click on the picture that you attached it goes to an inactive URL... please clarify... many thanks!  Stephen

Posted 2012-12-30T23:27:19+0000  by Stephen71327

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+