Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Edging at the Wall / Ceiling

I am frustrated with my paint job.  Everything looks good on my paint job for our guest bathroom except where the wall and ceiling meet. I edged it with a 2in brush and have an uneven line.  I bought a shur-line paint edger to fix the uneven lines and it worked well but since I did not use in the first place I have some paint that went above the line.  How do I fix that issue? see picture. 
Do I need to paint the ceiling now?  I tried to edge in the area where the paint got up on the ceiling and now the white is bleeding onto the wall.  I cant win. 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-02-10T13:56:18+0000  by Perry Perry

Sorry to learn of your edging problem Perry,

It is very common to have this transition problem.

Many DIYers use painter's tape to ensure a clean, straight edge.

I made this video to demonstrate the highest quality tape choices which will help ensure a straight line without paint bleed.

Watch Our How-To Video

These instructions will help ensure your repair leaves a straight line between your wall and ceiling.

NOTE:
Allow paint to dry 24-hours on one surface (either the wall or ceiling) before taping to paint the other surface.

Delicate surface tape is low adhesion and designed to prevent tears in freshly painted surfaces.

Posted 2016-02-11T18:19:49+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

There is an old joke that asks, " How do you get to Carnegie Hall "? The answer is " Practice, Practice, Practice!"
The Pros always free hand those ceiling iines. There are a few tricks they use: 

First, buy a really good brush, such a Purdy XL A quality brush really makes a world of difference, especially on those critical ceiling lines. Further, a 2 inch brush is rather small for general production work. Do-It- Yourselfers often assume a smaller brush is better. In reality, they require a lot more dipping.

Often, the actual ceiling line is difficult to see, especially when the builder sprayed ceiling and walls the same off white color. In much of the country, the application of texture further obscures where the actual corner is. To counter this, many painters, including myself, will take a sharp lead pencil and lightly draw it down the wall at a low angle, letting the pencil define the corner. Some painters will use the corner of their putty , making a metal scuff line. These lines are very faint, and if not completely covered, will not be evident from the floor, but will give you a visble guide line when your nose is up close to the corner while cutting in.

When cutting in, it will take about 3 passes to lay out the paint. The first pass quickly lays out the paint about a quarter inch from the line. You will notice that on the 1st pass, a ridge of paint developes along the top edge of the brush. This is why you do not go directly to the corner, as it gets sucked up onto the ceiling. The second pass disributes the excess paint very close to the line. The final pass goes directly to the line. If texture is present, I cause my hand to vibrate slightly, so as to cause the brush bristles to get down into the valleys of the texture

If you ere, ere to staying below the line. It looks far worse, when standing on the floor, if the paint goes up onto the ceiling slightly, rather than if it is slightly low. You always have the option to go back and straighten out a slightly low line. Frankly, it often takes me about half a wall until I "find my groove" and I will often go back and straigten the line out.

These tips should greatly speed up your production and the quality of the end product. Taping can work fine, but it is very tedious and time consuming. I guarantee you will not find painters at Carnegie Hall taping their ceiling 
lines!  :)
Posted 2016-02-14T23:56:30+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+